Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 04:44 PM

State: Montana
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I just got a call from one of the loan guys at a local bank. He told me we have to get E & O because the OCC has told the bank that all appraisers have to have E&O.

Historically here, the appraisal community has eschewed E&O insurance; the problems it can create for good appraisers is greater than the potential benefit..........and you know what I am talkin about.

The only appraisers here, and they are few, that have E&O are those that have been hammered by the state on poor work, and those that have been doing substandard work and have been sued more that a couple of times.

I believe the OCC has dictated this. I am shocked the government regulatory agency dictates this.

Any thoughts on this one.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2005, 04:47 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I'd like to see the OCC directive <_<

TB
Old 07-25-2005, 05:07 PM

State: Florida

Most likely they are auditing THAT bank are not happy with the files they have seen. There is one bank, in my area, that has been under OCC control for the better part of 5 years. They closed the fee panel and the OCC has to approve every appraiser on the list. They open the lsit onece a year and you have submit a lenghty application, reference both client and personal, E&O, and 3 samples. Makes it very difficult to do work there.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:28 PM

State: New York

Quote:
The only appraisers here, and they are few, that have E&O are those that have been hammered by the state on poor work, and those that have been doing substandard work and have been sued more that a couple of times.
Something tells me that some controversy lurks in this statement!
Old 07-25-2005, 05:51 PM

State: California

<_< No assets, not much of a bank account ... gee, you need E & O insurance. How else can a lawyer make it worth their while to sue you?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Verne J. Hebert, MFLA@Jul 25 2005, 01:44 PM
Historically here, the appraisal community has eschewed E&O insurance; the problems it can create for good appraisers is greater than the potential benefit..........and you know what I am talkin about.
I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about. I have had E&O from different providers for 16 years...it just sits in my file cabinet. It never does anything to me.

/Do I have the "good" E&O? Is there an "evil" E&O?
Old 07-25-2005, 06:25 PM

State: Montana

Their is no good and bad E & O; just "insurance".

The thought as been, if one has E&O one is more likely to sued--it welcomes the suit--you have deep pockets.

Why do you think lenders want a reassigned appraisal to be "rewritten" in their name? The rights to the appraisal can be reassign and used--it doesn't have to be "rewritten'.

However when it is rewritten, you E & O is now on the hook.

And when borrowers want to sue because of the water in their home, the one you appraised 7 years ago, and they want to sue you --you tell them, sorry friendo I don't have insurance, and it ends.

I have everything in trust. No one will sue me, there is nothing for them to get.
Old 07-25-2005, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Verne J. Hebert@ MFLA,Jul 25 2005, 03:25 PM
The thought as been, if one has E&O one is more likely to sued--it welcomes the suit--you have deep pockets.
Correct me if I'm wrong here...don't they have to have a reason to sue you and don't you have to do something wrong to get sued and lose the lawsuit? I mean, I have a homeowners policy and people aren't lining-up to sue me. I have auto insurance and people aren't running me off the road. I have life insurance...okay, we won't go there...

Anyway...I'm just saying...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:59 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

As I have said befoe.......................It just takes that one time with out insurance.

Been there done that. No thank you.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:30 AM

State: Georgia

That sounds too much like the verbal UW request we receive all of the time <_< are you sure it came from the state OCC??

Closed Thread