Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:49 AM

I've never posted before, but am addicted to this forum! Did a re-finance inspection a few weeks ago of what would have been an ordinary tract house. I say would have been , since it had a 1276 sq. ft. addition to the 1449 sq. ft. "main house." While waiting for the homeowner to get out of bed(yeah, he knew I was coming)I had plenty of time to explore the exterior of this creation. Along one side of the foundation there is a nasty looking horizontal foundation crack. It is about 6 ft. long, and has an open crack of about 8 in. in length, parts of the crack protrude approximately 1 in. from the wall. the crack has been patched, but doesn't make much difference----there were places where I was able to move the material, and could have torn it off. No, I did not. I asked the homeowner about the crack, but he just blew it off--said a former owner placed a wire too close to the surface. I tried to see the foundation from the inside, but there were too many "treasures" blocking my way. In the appraisal report, I included pictures of the crack, described it, and also recommended an inspection by a structural engineer. Well, you all probably know what happened next. The friendly LO caled to let us know that the home had already been re-financed a couple of times and nobody had ever mentioned a crack. I have not yet responded, but don't feel that I should modify the report. Anyone else deal with horizontal foundation cracks? Even if you haven't, I'd love the feedback! Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2005, 10:56 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Horizontal cracking with 1 inch displacement sounds pretty ominous. I wouldn't change the report.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:17 AM

State: Louisiana
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Dear LO, maybe it was a new crack. If not, maybe you should not send any more work to those previous appraisers, sounds like they might be incompetent or is that incontinent.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:26 PM

State: California

Quote:
Anyone else deal with horizontal foundation cracks? Even if you haven't, I'd love the feedback! Thanks!
One like this (see attached)? It runs more than 10 feet and turns a corner, with settlement fractures inside the house on the sliding door frame, ceiling, other places. Did I include these photographs in my report? :yellowblack:

Last edited by Randolph Kinney : 02-09-2006 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:27 PM

more crack photos

Old 07-26-2005, 01:28 PM

turning the corner crack ...

Old 07-26-2005, 01:31 PM

State: Washington
Professional Status: Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.

TE's Response is good. Just tell em maybe it is a new crack. Tell them this since it was refied before with no mention of the crack. Say well those appraisers were "probably" competent. Since I know appraisers would not like to take the liability for structural and safety issues. Thus, this must be a new crack. Unless the HO has proof from prior appraisals and/or old home inspections.

For what it is worth. Don't know the property or surrounding properties slope. But when I first started appraising. I did a 1/bsmnt house. There was a crack in the slab about 1-2" wide. I noted it and required an engineers inspection. The deal fell through the LO and HO were mad at me. Well 8 months later the house and subdivision went completly down the hill side. Learned from that one that never ever ignore possible structural problems.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:37 PM

Diane, one thing I did was call the MB and explain what I found before I wrote the report. I told him that he should called the UW of the lending company and ask them if they would take an appraisal "as-is" with a cracked foundation with a cost to cure estimate and a recommendation of a structural engineering inspection or a 442 "subject to" condition after the foundation problem was corrected.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:09 PM

State: New York
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Horizontal cracks can be real serious...I would definitely recommend that a structural engineer look at it. I would not give my own cost-to-cure estimate; I would rely on an engineer and/or contractor for that one and state so. It could involve not only fixing that crack, but major work on the ground surrounding the home.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:30 PM

State: Oklahoma
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Call for the structural engineer's report and, only then talk about "cost to cure".

I just finished a commercial report that the building needed over $30,000 in repairs, even though the cracks really didn't LOOK too bad. Unless you want to repair it, don't let anyone talk you out of a structural report.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread