Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 03:14 PM

State: California
Professional Status: Banking/Mortgage Industry

Hello,

While I'm waiting for a call back from the County Zoning Dep't for verification and/or information, I was just curious to see if the gallery has ever come across these types of properties before? Some prelim. research (google) lead me to a county in Colorado's description of "recreational cabin." It indicates specific regulations, such as "intended occupancy for no more than 6 months, no access from maintained public road, and other requirements of the dwelling itself. I'd bet San Bernardino's is pretty similar.

Now, just out of curiousity if the county confirms the zoning/use code as recreational cabin, how would an appraiser go about appraising this particular issue?

For confidentiality reasons, this is not the actual Legal Description, but very similar:[W 1/2 Se 1/2 Se 1/2 Nw Sec 1 Tp 2n R 4w Ex Mnl Rts As Reserved By Usa 5 Ac]

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 PM

Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

You would have to find comps with that same restriction. You might also call the US Forest Service to find out if that restriction is enforced. It is possible that this original zoning has been relaxed as rural and mountainous areas have become more of a primary home area.

If you take this assignment I would certainly charge more than for an in-town report. You have lots more work to do and may have to spend the night there.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:40 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

It's possible the site is leased from the Forestry Service. There's lots of those scattered throughout the National Forest areas.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:08 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I still have not heard back from the county, but I've got a copy of the Prelim. and it mentions A Fee Interest (good!), but then in Note 3 it indicates: "The Company is not aware of any matters which would cause it to decline to attach the CTLA Endorsement Form 116 indicating that there is located on said land single family residence known as XXXX Main St., City Area, CA to an Extended Coverage Loan Policy."

Now is the part that I've underlined above, indicating that the property is zoned SFR?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:15 PM

State: North Carolina
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have done several of these as they are common in the high desert. They are essentially Homestead cabins many of which have been added onto and are now used as SFR. Most of the ones I have encountered are actually in RL ( Rural Living ) zoned areas, even though Realquest and Dataquick show Recreational Cabin which is what they are but not how they are zoned. My walls are covered with San Bernardino County Zoning maps and there is no Recrational Cabin classification on any of them. I have never had a problem appraising any of them.

My 0.02
Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Did one near Big Bear after an earthquake for insurance built on a hillside on a forest lease originally for a college ski club 2 rooms access was via cable car stone construction very cool BTW hand made by said ski club ie no permits. This would be considered a complex (make that very complex) appraisal. This was an hourly job fee was probably $5000. If you have never done this work get a mentor and charge a lot if this is in fact fed lands.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Recreational Cabin
Believe it or not you can find a mess of them in Landers, Johnson Valley, 29 Palms, Joshua Tree, and Yucca Valley...

I always thought it strange to have a "cabin" in the middle of the desert...
Old 07-28-2005, 12:16 AM

Wasn't there some sort of tax scam in the early to mid 60's where desert lots were sold and cabins and shacks put up as a tax shelter?

There are also a lot of "desert rats" out in the Mojave hinterlands. Weird hermit types who love the isolation.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Papa@Jul 27 2005, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I still have not heard back from the county, but I've got a copy of the Prelim. and it mentions A Fee Interest (good!), but then in Note 3 it indicates: "The Company is not aware of any matters which would cause it to decline to attach the CTLA Endorsement Form 116 indicating that there is located on said land single family residence known as XXXX Main St., City Area, CA to an Extended Coverage Loan Policy."

Now is the part that I've underlined above, indicating that the property is zoned SFR?
Thanks again for all the responses. However, as shown above, does the prelim. title report mention the property's zoning?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:35 AM

State: North Carolina

If the subject is located in an unincorporated area of San Bernardino County a quick trip to the County offices will confirm zoning. The zoning maps are hanging on the wall you don't have to wait.

Closed Thread