Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:40 PM

State: Nevada
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

After living in Las Vegas for almost 3 years now, I am ready to move on. Sick of the heat, the never ending road construction and this lifestyle in general. So with that said, I am a 3 year Cert. Res. looking for a change. I am thinking Atlanta area, as I lived there for approx. 4 years, left in 2001 after getting out of the military. Housing is still relatively cheap compared to alot of other places I have researched and I liked the area. Also thinking Charlotte, NC. Anyone on here have any advice on these areas, espcecially work related and housing related? I figure they are both booming areas and work should not be hard to find. Or ideas on other places to move? I am looking for some place that has 4 seasons, low housing costs, and offers alot to do in my off-time.
Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2005, 09:44 PM

State: Tennessee
Professional Status: General Public

James,

The first place I was thinking of - was Parump about an hour from where you are now. Lots of opportunity.

Southern Georgia - has cheap housing - near the coast areas of SOuthern Georgia - some new growth going on there.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:18 PM

State: North Carolina

I'd be pleased to answer a pm with any questions about appraising in Charlotte. We do have 4 distinct seasons. However, we also have grid-lock and the endless road construction that you experience there.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:22 PM

State: Florida

Just moved away from Charlotte - no work. The appraiser that appraised my house for the sale said he has no work either. Moved back to south Florida where I lived for 30+ years. It is hot here, but not in the winter. I have to turn work down because I have so much.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:24 PM

State: Illinois

James, I was under the impression that Las Vegas was one of the best places to appraise residential real estate. Not true?
Old 07-31-2005, 10:25 PM

I would go to Pahrump, however the girlfriend says no I do quite alot of work in Pahrump. I am actually looking to get out of NV. Being in the military for 12 years I have seemed to have developed some kind of disease in that I must pick up and move every 3 years or I start going crazy. I've seen, saw and conquered everything I wanted to in NV, so its time to move on to another state. The only bad thing about leaving NV is we have no state tax, so that will also play an important role as to where I decide to move to next.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:28 PM

no state income tax here in Fla
Old 07-31-2005, 10:34 PM

Jim and everyone else, Vegas is a great place for appraisers as anyone one of us here will tell you, however, beyond the life of an appraiser I find it lacking. There is more work than you could ever hope for here. I turn down realistically 3-5 orders everyday because they want me to comp it first or bill through escrow(I only do COD) and accept another 3 orders everday on average. So work is great, its just the other stuff that I don't like. I mean June- Sept. its too damn hot to do anything outside unless you like 100 degree days and 90 degree nights. So I lose 3-4 months of my outside life and much prefer cold weather over hot weather. So my decision to leave where I am is not based off of work, but my desire to have a better life away from work.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:37 PM

I would consider FL haven't really tossed that state around with the GF yet. In Fl, where would you suggest looking into moving? I prefer a more country-type lifestyle, but still within a reasonable driving distance to a mall and other culture type stuff.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:52 PM

There are many areas in Fla that would fit your requirements. The Gulf coast has generally been more laid back but that may be different now. Some of the Gulf coast people will surely weigh in. I like the Space Coast/Melbourne area as well as the Treasure Coast on the Atlantic (east coast) side of the state. I also like areas further north like St. Augustine and Flagler Beach. Jacksonville is pretty cool too.
On a different note, Tennessee is a state with a more temperate climate with no state income tax. I have a friend in Nashville - been there many times. Very, very nice town and surrounding areas. Eric

Closed Thread