Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > General Appraisal Discussion
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:12 AM

State: California
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Here's a PIX of a roof I looked at today. No...It's not tile....No...It's not metal....It's composition.....Anyone ever seen one of these...I sure haven't....'cept for today....The shingles are actually bent and formed to resemble tile....Who makes this stuff? What's it called? Anyone know?

Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2005, 04:30 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Blue,

What did it feel like? Was it concrete? Was it a recycled material, like the trx decking?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:28 AM

State: New Mexico

It looks like that "hurricane proof" stuff that came out about 6 to 10 years ago. It's made of metal that has an epoxy compound "super glued" or melted or something like that fashion adhered to the metal. They come in about 6 to 12 foot lengths and are supposed to withstand 140 mph winds and have a lifetime warrantee. The installers put down long strips of lath and then these are attached to the lath. Right now, I'm brain farting and can't remember the name of them. Saw a show on this Old House in Hawaii many years ago where they put it on and, like your house, most people can't tell from the street.
Old 08-02-2005, 07:16 AM

I've been seeing those lately and some owners said they didn't know, others said steel. I finally googled it one day until I found this site:

http://www.kbsmetalroofing.com/facts.htm

See the "stone coated tile" version of their roofing

http://www.kbsmetalroofing.com/tiles.htm
Old 08-02-2005, 08:26 AM

I do believe that's the ones I was talking about. It's supposed to be nearly indestructable by weather.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:30 AM

It certainly appears to be sturdy enough. Would you adjust versus a similarly aged asphaly shingle roof?
Old 08-02-2005, 09:18 AM

State: Florida

Far superior to an asphalt shingle roof...longer life, same as enameled metal or clay tile. I've been seeing these a lot more frequently on the higher end beachside homes ($1+million). I'm starting to see the original "barrel" or "S" clay tile roofs being replaced with these metal roofs. Homeowner Associations prefer the "look" of these as opposed to the slatted look of enameled metal.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:31 AM

I first started seeing these about 15 years ago. I refer to them as a Cal-Pac roof since they were, I believe, the first out with this product (like Trex deck) but I'm sure there are other names. It's a stone coated steel. The panels are approx. 2' wide and 4' long. They lay 2x4 wood sleepers down every 2' over the existing roof and then attached the panels. Per the owners I've talked to they come with a 50-60 year warranty. The only negative I've heard is that they are delicate to walk on. Cost is slightly more than a 40-year asphalt shingle.

Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 AM

That roofing type was very popular in my area about 10 years ago, but it's been quite a few years since I've seen one put on a house in my area. They used to put these roofs directly over old wood shake roofs and someone told me this turned out to be a hazard of some sort (I don't know if this is true).

The main manufacturers are Gerard and Decra. The Decra site is:

http://www.decra.com/tile.html

Bob Anderson
Old 08-02-2005, 12:23 PM

Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Quite common in my area - claim 50 year life.

Had a captain in fire dept tell me over 10 years ago that they were a fire hazard. They had trouble locating attic fires with these roofs because of the way the smoke travelled under the long pieces of metal. Also the the roof struture under the metal could burn away and the metal would be left standing freely with no support - firefighter could then fall through.

Also, I can see one of those roofs in the adjacent residential neighborhood from my second floor office window. On that roof I can see exactly where the installer for the dish antenna had walked on the roof.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread