Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Urgent - Help Needed
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 02:35 PM

State: Ohio
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

Doing an appraisal where upper level dimensions of home is 6 X 26, it does have 2 windows. Can I call this a bedroom or is it a finished attic. Room is currently being used a bedroom for toddler. Can anyone tell me are there any restictions on what constitutes a bedroom? Any help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-03-2005, 02:47 PM

State: Nebraska
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Does it have adequate head-height, window egress and HVAC? <_< .
6 foot IS sufficent to put in a small bed sideways...
Old 08-03-2005, 03:10 PM

State: Texas

Does it have adequate access to bath without traffic through the main living area? Just adding comments here.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:24 PM

State: California

Does it have a closet? No closet, maybe it cannot be counted as a bedroom.

Henry Harrison has a book, HOUSES, that attempts to define bedroom in 10 pages where talks about size, windows, lighting, closet, etc.

There is HUD guideline.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:37 PM

My answer is different.

This is appraising and you can do almost anything you want to do as long as you explain the whats and whys. Some clients as well as Fannie or FHA might have specific guidelines.

My actual answer is, how does your market view this space? Appraisers are analysts for their market. For me, it doesn't matter what ANSI might say or what the rest of us might say. What does your market say?

I use basement bedrooms as an example for our market. For decades, folks had been putting their kids in basement rooms with small windows. But, about 15 years ago, they started to put egress windows in and that was code. But, the market continued to buy those houses with the small windows and putting their kids down there. So, we called them basement bedrooms. In the past couple of years, that has changed. The market is afraid to put kids into those rooms and we no longer count them as basement bedrooms, unless the egress windows have been installed.
Old 08-03-2005, 05:33 PM

State: Colorado

Quote:
My actual answer is, how does your market view this space? Appraisers are analysts for their market. For me, it doesn't matter what ANSI might say or what the rest of us might say. What does your market say?
I agree with Randy to a degree, BUT their may still be functional issues when it accepted in the market. Is is curable or incurable?
Old 08-03-2005, 05:51 PM

State: Nebraska
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Randy:

I agree, and ...came veeery close to adding the tag "and most imptortantly what does your market say"... but then I gave it a little more thought.

'calling' it a bedroom has one implication for a local lender... and a potentially different significance for a lender who is out of area, and may be accustomed to diffferent standards and definitions. Anyone asking this question may not have a full handle on the raminfications of fast "what does your market think" answers! (Sorry, Erin, I am not trying to throw rocks at your educational effort!)

I would be very careful to FIRST answer the questions as per my post above... In some jurisdictions that 'attic room' (whatever you call it) may be as ILLEGAL as a 'bedroom' as the space in the basement you mentioned! (Due to fire egress: lack of exterior located steps)

A prudent appraiser would have those answers before deciding on which line(s) to report the 'finished space' or what to call it!

I might elect to use one of the bottom lines on page 1 of our 'old' urar room count grid and include it (or not) as GLA if it were 'illegal' but market accepted as/not as a bedroom! Same applies to the market grid. If it has full market acceptance but remains 'illegal' as a bedroom, I'd opt for one of the blank lines at the bottom *with explanation*.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:56 PM

State: Florida

Why do you need to call it a bedroom? How many other bedrooms does the subject property have?

Tim
Old 08-03-2005, 09:08 PM

State: Illinois

'calling' it a bedroom has one implication for a local lender... and a potentially different significance for a lender who is out of area, and may be accustomed to diffferent standards and definitions

It doesn't matter what a lender 2000 miles might view it as. The market is not 2000 miles away and the way the market views it is the way we should view it.

Who are we to "correct" the market opinion of what it is???
Old 08-03-2005, 09:33 PM

I may not know much yet, but I think I am pretty clear on what a bedroom is....All this double talk and rules and regulations is making me dizzy!!! A bedroom has to have a heat source, a door, a window and the entrance cannot be through another significant room, such as another bedroom or a bathroom.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread