Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 03:50 PM

State: New Jersey
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I really haven’t given this Aurora roll out a lot of consideration but a few of the postings here have piqued my interest, particularly since this will happen in the next month or two. So I checked out their web site, dug around and found the following in an FAQ on Aurora:

So what’s new in Aurora? Why do I want to install it?

A whole lot is new, and you're going to like it. In addition to a cleaner interface, Aurora saves you time with features such as the ability to import data exported from your MLS, more direct integration with your XSite orders and contacts, vastly improved accounting features hosted on your Appraiser XSite, single scrolling forms, side-by-side comp editing, true network-optimized SQL databases and a lot more!

Wow! Is anyone else out there as under whelmed by this as I am? Admittedly, some perspective is in order.

Throughout their history alamode has pioneered such appraiser “must haves” as digital imaging, mapping, sketching and EDI delivery. These technologies fundamentally changed the way we work but it looks like the cupboard is getting a little bare. “True network-optimized SQL databases”? I think I speak for many of us when I say, “Huh”?

Now I know there are some folks out there who get positively orgasmic over “network-optimized SQL databases” but I’m one of those people who would be happy to just get any new FNMA forms (and I would pay for them..no problem) and be on my way with my obsolete Athena software, which by the way works excellently, apparently without the benefit of that SQL database thingy.
Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2005, 04:10 PM

State: Georgia
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

The big thing the SQL database thing is supposed to offer (from my understanding) is much greater speed and stability under a windows network environment--important to me and my office, but clearly not important to every appraiser on the block.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:55 PM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

I'm underwhelmed, but I'm not their target customer (10% or less of my business is form based). I do not use x-sites, floodmaps, or their accounting, so most of the advances in recent years haven't really helped me. I like the vault, but that is the only extra I use.

This isn't a complaint, as I recognize that many others use all, or at least more of the features than I do. I just like to have the least amount of inconvenience with my software, which would mean not changing things.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:24 PM

State: Colorado
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

Michael,

I have to agree. My contract is up on Sept. 13th. I have had a call every day telling me they can save me some money if I get a new contract now. I finally chat with them and I found that NO money was being saved. I NEVER use their accounting service, their X-sites, their this and that! I can make due on a bare minimal of what they have to offer. I however was given a sales pitch of location maps, Apex..(don't need it)...vaults, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is it takes me LESS time to work the system my way than if I had all their bells and whistles. Why can't they just have a basic service without trying to shove the extras down my throat? If I want them I will ask....other than that.. I jsut want a basic software package!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:44 PM

State: Indiana
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

I agree with the "bells and whistles" statement. My contract is up today and I called and asked for their best price. Their best price (because you can't just get the basics) was double than what ACI wanted. I'm jumping their ship and joining ACI--i'm fed up with WinTotal.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:29 PM

I have used Alamode software since 2001 and I have tried other software, I think Alamode is the best overall but I think it has to many things in it. I would be willing to pay the same money for less, I guess what I want is a Alamode Chevrolet and all they want to sell me is a Alamode Cadillac. I don't mind change if it's going to improve things but you have to admit the timing of the new aurora software and the new forms that we will using in November might cause us some headaches. Paul :yellowblack:
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread