Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:55 AM

State: Illinois
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I have owned Adobe Acrobat for many years, long before I even bought WinTotal.

Ever since WinTotal added the ability to print to PDF internally, about a year or so ago, every time I print to PDF in my other programs (Word, Excel, Photoshop, QuickBooks, etc.), I can not use the "Acrobat Distiller" (like I once was able to) because something about the "WinTOTAL PDF Driver" trumped it. Evidentially, both drivers can't co-exist.

I once called WinTotal Tech Support and they actually told me to get a newer version of Adobe Acrobat (I have 5.0), after paying a la mode well over $2000 in the last couple of years for all of their services! I told the guy off on the phone. I paid this much money for WinTotal and they get some kind of light version of PDF that puts seals on the top of the printout if you use it in any other program and also block the full version of Adobe Acrobat itself from working?

Does anyone have the same problem? What happens is that, whenever you use the "WinTOTAL PDF Driver" in programs that are not WinTotal, two round seals are put at the top of every page and they can not be deleted. When you try to print to "Acrobat Distiller", since the "WinTOTAL PDF Driver" was installed, you get an error message. If you try to re-install Adobe Acrobat, WinTotal's automatic maintenance program runs itself and again trumps Adobe Acrobat.

If anyone has figured out a work around, please let me know because WinTotal Tech Support not only can't figure it out but denies it even happens. Too bad I can't figure out how to get my QuickBooks program to write several hundred dollar annual checks to a la mode! I do like WinTotal as compared to other programs, but they should be bending over backwards to fix problems at the software fee they charge.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2005, 11:04 AM

I have WinTotal and also Adobe Acrobat 5.0 installed on the same computer.

I print to the WinTotal PDF driver and to Distiller extensively every day without any issues.

This sounds like an issue specific to your machine.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:05 PM

State: Arkansas

I'm with Scott on this. I have both, and not problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:26 PM

State: Oregon
Professional Status: Retired Appraiser

Patrick,
Ditto above posts from Greg and Scott. I have had both for years and have not experienced the problem you describe.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:34 AM

Thanks, guys, for the feedback! It prompted me to upgrade to Acrobat 7 and that seemed to fix the problem. It didn't cost that much to upgrade to it after all.

Again, I am a big fan of WinTotal and I'm glad that both programs can co-exist on my computer. I know, however, that it was a WinTotal upgrade well after both programs had been successfully installed and were working properly that threw Acrobat off because even when I tried re-installing Acrobat 5, WinTotal would then automatically re-install its PDF driver and then I couldn't print to the Acrobat 5 installed Distiller again.

However, Acrobat 7 fixed everything for me and it's the latest and greatest of that product. All of my invoices go out from my QuickBooks program in PDF format and, after a test last night, they don't have the seals printed on the top of it now via Acrobat 7. I'm assuming my other programs won't now, either, but they all diduntil the upgrade.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2005, 08:48 AM

State: Wisconsin
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Patrick - I wish I had seen this thread yesterday. The fix is to uninstall and re-install Acrobat 5. I had the same problem on my last computer, and saw a discussion here from someone who was told to do that by A la mode. It fixed his or her problem. I never tried it, because I switched to a new computer. Basically, from what I understand, when a la mode added the pdf driver, it over-rode the old version of acrobat, but it could be fixed by the simple uninstall/re-install.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier
Old 09-01-2005, 09:15 AM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply! In my case, I did un-install and re-install Acrobat 5, but it then threw the WinTotal PDF driver out of whack - so SafeStart automatically re-installed the WinTotal PDF driver, which then threw Acrobat 5 back out of whack. I tried this a couple of times and even called tech support and that issue never resolved.

You are right, though, in that all of the problems started when WinTotal added their lite version of the PDF driver. If they had added a full version of it, which you'd think they should have for the amount of money we all pay to a la mode, the two seals at the top of the screen would never have been an issue and there would only be one PDF driver on all of our machines to print to (instead of the two that we now must pick from every time).

Further, nobody would ever have had a problem with Acrobat if a la mode had the full version from day one. I don't understand why WinTotal can't first look at the system it is installing to in order to see if it has another version of Acrobat is already on it. Then, if it does not, it can install its lite version but, if it does, it can easily use the existing version of Acrobat. One PDF driver should be able to fit all!

I've used Acrobat for many, many years and every program has always been able to print to it through version 7. In fact, I used it before WinTotal added its lite version and it worked perfectly every time. A la mode certainly goofed up when it didn't think through what it was doing with its lite PDF version and it probably still remains a problem on some computers today, only the owners haven't found it yet.

Thanks again!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:38 AM

State: Wisconsin

Wow, I'm glad I didn't screw around with it. How annoying. I don't remember who it was, but the uninstall/re-install worked for the earlier poster. Sucks that it didn't for you. I would have been pretty irritated if I couldn't even get it to work after going through the hassle of trying to fix it.

I agree with you completely that the adobe version in a la mode should be the full one considering the cost of running wintotal.

Glad you got it fixed.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:24 PM

State: California

It kinda hearkens back to the days when software clashes were common. I think we've grown accustomed to operating systems that don't generally allow too much interference from applications, but that didn't use to be the case.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:11 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Appraiser Trainee

Does anyone use one of the pdf writers not from Adobe? (translation - cheaper)

I did the upgrade on the WinTotal pdf writer so it wouldn't put the big seal on every page if I was using the pdf writer in another program. What you get is something called "PDF Xchange Lite" - think it was about $30.

It works just fine except when I used plain old Adobe 5.0 that I paid $299 for, I could add pages not created in Total. Like a sheet of listings from MLS. Can't do that now.

Anyone have an alternative that they like?
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread