Real Estate Appraisal Forum

appraisersforum.com logo
The Premiere Online Community for Real Estate Appraisers!
 Fastest Way to Find a Real Estate Appraiser Enter Zip Code:

Go Back   Appraisers Forum > Real Estate Appraisal Forums > Technical - Hardware/Software > a la mode (WinTotal)
Register Help Our Rules Calendar Archives Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 03:01 PM

State: Texas
Professional Status: Certified Residential Appraiser

I am ready to purchase a laptop/notebook, with wireless network card. I would like to know if there is any brand/model that is better than the rest and what the minimums/max for speed and memory should be for the optimal use of aurora.
Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2005, 03:10 PM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Not sure about Aroura, but I bought recently an hp z8000 series 17" wide screen and love it.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:26 PM

State: California

I just bought another Dell notebook. It replaced my 2-year-old Dell notebook. It's an Inspiron 6000 with a gig of RAM, 4 USB ports, 15" wide-screen, and ethernet or wireless capable.

Anyway, Dell has always worked for me...

Dell
Old 10-12-2005, 07:35 PM

State: Virginia

Try the Toshiba Portege its a compo notebook/tablet and it's great. I use it more as a notebook. It's light weight, has a good screen, very portable, and has good overall specs.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:18 PM

Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Gail:

If you are going to use it in the field, be sure to test it's screen outdoors before purchasing. Most devices you buy at the stores or on-line have screens that wash out in sunlight. The Mobile Appraisers Group has a lively discussion on this topic.

If by "wireless", you mean WiFi or 802.11, "B" is the most popular, "A" is the fastest but shortest range and "G" is near "A" speed and just about has "B's" range. We typically find that units with the Intel Prowireless 2200BG chip is the best choice. Adding "A" is worthless IMHO and can be a functional and battery drain.

If by "wireless" you mean away from the office (and not sniping from a "free" hot spot", look into the Verizon EVDO card... good speed and affordable service. Best for most, overall. YMMV depending on area and rates, but we really like it and so do our customers.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need more specifics.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:21 PM

Professional Status: IT Professional-Appraisal Related

Forgot to mention memory. Most of our customers are advising 1 GB of memory for Aurora. 512 MB just doesn't seem to cut it for the current builds. This may change later (?) but if you want to be safe, go for 1 GB from what I am hearing. More is better, but I think you'll find that anything above 1 GB gets expensive in a big hurry and I'm not sure at what point there are seriously diminishing cost/benefit ratios.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:38 AM

State: Florida
Professional Status: Certified General Appraiser

Wow. 1gb of memory to run software. Perhaps the programmers should look at more efficient ways to make the software run rahter than load that much at once? Who ever signed off on that should seriously be looking for another job. This is appraisal form filling software. There is no need to write something so cumbersome that a gig of memory is required just to make it run smoothly.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:03 AM

State: North Carolina

Gail,

Personally we switched from toshiba and another off brand to strictly Dell.

We like Dells Warranty including the fine print. Price was right also.

The meat is the processor. Go with Centrino ONLY. Its important for battery life.
The centrino adjust its clock speed based upon demand. For eample, if oyur on batter it operates as low as 400mhz, even though we have 1.8ghz processor.

Low battery use means extended use time. I get four hours on my battery running wintotal and internet explorer/ at the same time.

Centrino means low temperatures also. Thats very important on computers especially laptops! Low temperatures means your cooling fan does not run very often and that means more battery life.

Small size is pretty important for transportability. Less risk in dropping it if you have a small one.

I am thinking about a new tablet size myself. My current dell is a Inspiron 600m.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:49 PM

State: Oklahoma
Professional Status: Licensed Appraiser

You don't need 1 Gig of memory to run Aurora.

Our minimum requirement is 256Mb, and we recommend 512Mb. For full specs, see Support Document #5032

If you're buying a new PC, it's worth it to go ahead and put in 1Gb since it will help you down the road with other programs, but it's by no means a requirement.

The thing slowing most PC's unnecessarily is all the hyperactive anti-virus tools scanning every file. As a test, temporarily disable your antivirus, and you'll see WinTOTAL open and save files a lot faster. (I've seen it cut 30 seconds off the opening of a file.) Some A/V programs (i.e. Norton's but NOT McAfee's personal version) will let you exclude directories that you know are "safe" so you get the protection only where you need it and gain speed benefits elsewhere. We put together Document #4016 to explain it further.

I hope this information is helpful.

Matt Krodel
Executive Vice President, Customer Service
a la mode, inc.
Sponsored Links

Closed Thread