• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

1/1/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Outstanding! and It's about time!

In accordance with statutory revisions, as of January 1, 2008, "No State Certified Real Estate Appraiser or State Licensed Real Estate Appraiser shall supervise more than three Licensed Real Estate Appraiser Assistants" :clapping:

Kudos to NYS DOLS!

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
It is acceptible, however, it is, once again, the State doing the bare minimum.

Would have liked to seen required class and minimum years in field for super along with Certs only being supervisors and the tying (marriage) of trainee and super.

Claude From NY

Professional Status
State
New York
Great! Now how will this be enforced? The skipp shop honor system?

Maybe an idea would have a specific trainee-supervisor registration. Similar to r.e. agent - broker where the agent must be sponsored by a broker.

Eli Weiss

Professional Status
State
New York
This is more symbolic then effective, most shops I know, have a dozen of skippy certs in-house.......

Too little too late......

Dross

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New York
Competition just got a bit stiffer.

I know the vets don't care about us poor rookies, but we're just trying to make an honest living like you guys.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Competition just got a bit stiffer.

I know the vets don't care about us poor rookies, but we're just trying to make an honest living like you guys.

As it should. Embrace that concept and make sure you "rise to the top!"

Stick around and recognize if that second idea was true, this Forum would not exist. :)

Dross

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
New York
From the comments in this thread, it's my growing opinion that this forum is more for long term established appraisers to communicate amongst one another, than a source from which trainees can draw.

The education that I've gained, even from the LI school, will certainly be of use to me in my own property investments. That's about the only good thing I can see about it, at this point.

Speaking of that school; it's shameful that people here will mock graduates of that school as being 'incompetent' without having met nor interviewed said people.

In the General and R3-4 classes, there were several long established appraisers that did NOT graduate from that school and they were woefully 'dumb as stumps' and in a few cases, just downright unethical in their practices. (To be fair, there were a few GREAT men and women as well.)

It's very 'cute' to :rof: at trainees and graduates of the Merrill Institute, but looking at the indictments and license revocations that are flying fast and furious, I think a little less finger pointing and belly holding is probably in order.

I could certainly go on and on about my limit perspective of what I've seen trying to break into the industry, but alas, here on this forum, I've found that I qualify for 2 of the least liked qualities amongst the old boys club:

1) I'm a trainee
2) from the Merrill Institute

... therefore I must be an incompetent idiot in all things great and small :blush:

I wish all of you much success in these difficult times ahead in any case. Don't let the brokers bugger you too much and most of all...

:peace:

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
FWIW, I have taken several classes there, so my opinion is based on experience. The qualifying courses that I took (AQ-1, G1, G2, and G3) were pitiful, to say the least. The reason that I took the G courses there was that I had taken courses from AIREA (now AI) prior to licensing, so I already knew the material. The material as presented is woefully inadequate and leaves one unprepared for the real world.

I have no gripe against trainees. But I do try to lead people down the right path. Going through that school is not the right path, especially if you want to be a commercial appraiser.

We've also taken three trainees that have graduated from that school. One was my stepson, the other a local person, and a third that told the ruffians in the class to shut the hell up. Fortunately, all were very ambitious, which allowed them to make up for the lack of basics that were not provided through that school.

Good luck on your endeavors.

Claude From NY

Professional Status
State
New York
I see that David has beat me to the punch

Dross, I'm not laughing at or insulting any student from that school, It would be dumb (and dangerous :)) of me to do that. In fact, I know a number of very good appraisers that took their original appraisal education there and or CE there.

More or less we have all taken appraisal education C/E courses at the LI school. Having experienced the course material and the Dr./instructor first hand, I can emphatically say that while taking a round of CE classes there I learned nothing other than how the instructor lowered his property taxes, the latest widget they were working on and other irrelevant and unqualified nonsense. Of course, I did not realize how much I had been missing until I started taking some courses sponsored by the Appraisal Institute, The Columbia Society and the instructors of Mckisock.

I'm sure the LI school fills a need, that's why it's still there. Eventually you come to the realization that you need much more, but I think you already know that. Good luck!

jmho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks