• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

1/2 a foot no more

Status
Not open for further replies.

38Scarcello

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
I have the latest Apex for awhile now and all
was fine until today (along with getting a $154
speeding ticket). I must have toggled something,
since I can only draw lines in feet. I cannot
draw 1/2 foot. I have been everywhere looking
for this option. I thought it was under:
Options>Configuration>Grid>Set Step at 0.50.
That option does not seem to change anything
from what I have discovered. Any ideas?

:fiddle:

Rufus

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
According to the theory of relativity, the fact that you were speeding has possibly caused the problem. As you move faster, other objects appear to shrink in size based on the formula of L1 = L2 * (SqRt(1-(V^2/C^2))). This may cause the precision of measuring with your old yard stick to be diminished.

or

Did you also look under Options > Configure Grid > Dimensions and see if the "Decimal Precison" might have changed to "0 places"?

Just a thought.

rbrienza

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
Rufus... Love your response... Thanks I needed a good laugh today.

Ray

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
My Configuration settings:

System: Unit of measure "Imperial"

Dimensions: 2 places (decimal precision)

Grid:

Stlye disabled

Spacing 1 unit

Step 1.0

I can draw .25, .50, & .75 with these setting. I had the same problem, I do not know if this can solve your problem.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
My wife said it must be a man thing!

Randall Garrett

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Texas
Patrick,

Sorry for the delayed response. I am remote and have only occasional access to the Internet via satellite (slow and "iffy") where I am for a while...

When you say "draw" do you mean:

1. by pressing the arrow keys (Etch-A-Sketch™ style)?
2. by typing in a number and then a direction key?
3. by using a mouse?
4. or any/all of the above?

If you are still having a problem this week, the best thing would be to contact our support department and they can take a look at your settings by logging in to your computer (with your permission, of course). In the interim, some possible things to look at are:

1. The distance the cursor travels (drawing or just moving around) is called the "Step" in Apex. This setting is configured on the Tools/Configuration/Grid tab. There you'll find settings for 0.01, 0.1, 0.25. 0.5. 1.0, 2.0 and "custom." When you press and hold the [Shift] key, the program is "hardwired" to use a Step of 0.1 ("tenths") - this is a hold-over from the DOS days when most people drew via this "Etch-A-Sketch™" method.

2. I know of no setting which overrides the ability to type in a precise number, so you may type in something like "12.417" and press a direction key ant that is what it will draw. There is a setting on the Tools/Configuration/Dimensions tab which controls the "Precision", but this is only a rounding/truncating of the posted dimension. Thus, if you were to use something precise like 12.417 and the Precision was set for one decimal place (tenths), it would post 12.4 but actually draw and use 12.417 for the calculations. If you were to type in (say) 12.451, it would post 12.5 but use 12.451. Thus, the Precision setting is just for appearances - to make things appear consistent. It has no bearing on the actual accuracy which is double floating point internally.

3. The "increments" you may move with a mouse is also controlled by the Tools/Configuration/Grid setting, so if you want to allow movement in 0.5' increments with the mouse, set the Step to "0.5"
One thing new to Apex Medina (aka "v4") to keep in mind is that while drawing, you may use the right mouse button to "toggle" the step between the current setting and Tenths - just like holding down the [Shift] key. Thus, regardless of your Step setting, right clicking while drawing will toggle the Step between your setting and Tenths. Right clicking while doing things like placing text, dimensions, Symbols, etc. toggle the mouse wheel between size and rotate...

Hope this helps! Again, sorry for the delay in replying and I wish I could give you screen shots, examples, etc. to help out, but I am in a remote location and the occasional Internet connection is slow and of questionable reliability... :-\ Have to close before I am "caught" doing support or "computer" things when I am supposed to be enjoying myself doing "relaxing" things with vacationing family members, LOL.

-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

38Scarcello

Professional Status
State
Washington
3. The "increments" you may move with a mouse is also controlled by the Tools/Configuration/Grid setting, so if you want to allow movement in 0.5' increments with the mouse, set the Step to "0.5"
-Randall Garrett-
..Apex Software..

Thanks for all the responese folks. I have this option checked, and it still does not move in 0.5' increments. I tried a different option, and it did change anything. I then tried to change it back to 0.5'...nothing. I was unaware of the SHIFT key option, would provides as a great work-around/additional tool for me.
I might have something going on deeper than this just, since I successfully was able to draw a perfectly good sketch then I lost it after receiving an error! Anyways, I am good to go. I will take my chances and hold off on calling tech support until I lose another sketch!
Thanks everyone!

m2:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Have you tried turning off your computer and turning it back on?

38Scarcello

Professional Status
State
Washington
Have you tried turning off your computer and turning it back on?

This sounds like the old Windows 95 fix, where a reboot seems to fix everything. I just tried that to no avail. I must be the geek of the week!

38Scarcello

Professional Status
State
Washington
This morning I toggled the 'Snap to Grid' option off, and now I have my 0.50 increments back. Yeah...that makes a whole lot of sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks