• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

1/4 Bath?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
What else would you call a 6' X 3' room with a toilet?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Uhhhhhh.......

1/4 bath with an explanation I guess would do.

Gee, if you put in a dispenser with that 'no water' hand cleaner, would that then qualify as a 1/2 bath?????

:blink:

Ken-NC

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
lol, good answers so far!

Is this located above grade? If so, I would call it a half bath, but explain that it is missing the "wash basin" and adjust it accordingly.

If it is located below grade, is it finished similarly to the rest of the basement? If so, see above. If not, value as such... a toilet.

:)

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
I'd call it a WC... Water Closet

and then eggsplain it is just a stool no frills, slightly larger than typical 'dump closet'.

~~~
If it has an industrial strength exhaust fan some wives would consider it a quite valuable addition to the home and decorate it such that the designated occupant is obviously intended to be the non-distaff member of the household...

not that her 'stuff' don't stink... but... :rolleyes:

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Ummm. 1/2 bath lacking the sink. I agree with the adustment for the lack of it. Not a part of the appraisal, wouldn't put it in such words, but.....I'd call it an opportunity to be unsanitary. Yick. Don't shake those hands.

Lee Ann,

I like your idea. Stock it with Sports Illustrated and one of those commercial bathroom air freshners, you're good to go.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Had a house several weeks ago. Utility room with door to garage had washer, dryer hookup and a utility room sink. Next to the utility room (with no other access) was a large walk in pantry and in one corner was a shower. Still wondering what effect the steam from the shower had on the boxes of cereal and sacks of floor. Another one was a utility room between the carport and the kitchen with an open archway between the utility room and kitchen. In the utility room was washer, dryer, how water heater, shower, sink and toilet. All the facilities except a door for privacy. And then several months ago, a one car garage with shop area and one tiny room (with a door) just large enough for a toilet but the closest sink was in the kitchen about 25' away. I am going to have to start considering strange bath facilities as normal in my market. Have one subdivision where the master bedroom has a large walk in closet. In the floor of the closet are rough-ins for a three fixture bath. Some of the homes have had the fixtures installed over the years. Others just have installed the carpet over the rough-ins.

Bob Stainbrook

Sophomore Member
That's as bad as when I argue with an UW because my small adjustment on a comp with 3 bedrooms ( similar square footage home ) vs a 4 bedroom. I always make note in the addendum that according to the MLS data the 4th. bedroom is 7 x 10. I'm 6'4'' and 275lb. and I couldn't tie my shoes in a bedroom that small. Reminds me of when I attended Penn State & Matt Millan & Bruce Clark played defensive tackles and lived together in my dorms freshman year. One had to get out of bed before the other one could.

aprazer

Professional Status
State
New York
I believe about within the last 5-8 years Fannie issued an update indicating that 1/4 bath was longer to be used, but 1/2 should be indicated with a comment.

They are common in this area in older homes-they convert the closet under the stairs or a kitchen closet. Very tough to fit a sink in-I have seen several fixed with a small sink that looks like the thing you spit into when you're in the dentist chair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks