• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

1800's Photo-looking For Photograph Appraiser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
I have an old, very old metal photo from the 1800's. The person in the photo may or may not be famous. I have attempted to get someone to look at it that has expertise in old photos.

Some background. My Grand Father(No, not great grandfather) fought in the Civil War. I have documentation of that as my Grand mother received a Civil War Pension until her death in the 1940's. My father was 71 when he died in 1945. I was 9 years old. I am stating this so the lineage makes sense. I am the last of 9-10 children. The phot0 was passed down to me by my father but I have no clue who this might be. I apid an online photo appraiser a few dollars but havenever heard back. Any help would be appreciated. It could be someone famous or jsu a family member.

Attachments

• 1899 photo.jpg
    1899 photo.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 64

techbiker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
I have an old, very old metal photo from the 1800's. The person in the photo may or may not be famous. I have attempted to get someone to look at it that has expertise in old photos.

Some background. My Grand Father(No, not great grandfather) fought in the Civil War. I have documentation of that as my Grand mother received a Civil War Pension until her death in the 1940's. My father was 71 when he died in 1945. I was 9 years old. I am stating this so the lineage makes sense. I am the last of 9-10 children. The phot0 was passed down to me by my father but I have no clue who this might be. I apid an online photo appraiser a few dollars but havenever heard back. Any help would be appreciated. It could be someone famous or jsu a family member.

Hi Don,

I was waiting for someone with more experience to reply to your post. Since it has been a week, I'll throw in my 2 cents.

Believe it or not, tintypes were very common in the mid 1800's. I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but chances are the photo is not of anyone famous. You can buy them on Ebay for a few dollars.

P.S. Wow! It's really cool that you are only a couple generations removed from a Civil War veteran. Did you ever get to speak with your Grandfather before he died? Did your Grandmother ever speak about your Grandfather's experience in the Civil War?

People forget the significance of the Civil War. Our country is still affected today by the war's outcome. Before the war, people referred to the United States in the plural form. 1/4 of the white male fighting age population in the south died in the war. In absolute numbers more Americans died in the Civil War than in every other war combined.

Last edited:

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Don, have you checked with anyone at the Antiques road show ? Very knowledgeable folks there, just a thought; that was Billy the kid era time.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Don, have you checked with anyone at the Antiques road show ? Very knowledgeable folks there, just a thought; that was Billy the kid era time.

I plan to do that as soon as I get time to find a good contact. Old Grand Pa Clark, the Civil War Veteran lived most of his life in Texas so knew a lot of folks. I have compared the photo to him, my father, and my fathers brother. Do not look anything like any of them.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I have loads of them.. Tintypes are very common from about the time of the Civil War to maybe 1890s and mostly gone after 1900. Have nary a clue who many are but were passed down in my family. Tintypes always seem to have clipped corners. img222c (Large).jpg img222d (Large).jpg I see them in flea markets, etc. and without any known person they are typically $5 - $20 each

Attachments

• img223 (Large).jpg
    img223 (Large).jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks