• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

2008 change: Trainee supervision

Status
Not open for further replies.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Need a quick answer.

The 2008 change requiring a certfied license to supervise trainees is now in effect. Is there a "grace" period. In other words, can the trainee finish their hours under the supervision of a licensed appraiser? Or does it have to stop on Jan, 1, 2008.

I'm reviewing an appraisal where the supervisor is an AL and the appraiser is an AT. I knew this would come up and I knew my first one would be this husband and wife team.

I can't find a specific answer to this at OREA. But I thought I heard a rumor that the AL could continue to supervise a trainee under some circumstances. Need to know soon so I don't put my foot in my mouth.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Need a quick answer.

The 2008 change requiring a certfied license to supervise trainees is now in effect. Is there a "grace" period. In other words, can the trainee finish their hours under the supervision of a licensed appraiser? Or does it have to stop on Jan, 1, 2008.

I'm reviewing an appraisal where the supervisor is an AL and the appraiser is an AT. I knew this would come up and I knew my first one would be this husband and wife team.

I can't find a specific answer to this at OREA. But I thought I heard a rumor that the AL could continue to supervise a trainee under some circumstances. Need to know soon so I don't put my foot in my mouth.

How was the appraisal?

hglenbetts

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
As I understand it, a trainee can assist a licensee, just can't log hours for credit. :nono:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The trainee signed the report as the appraiser. The spouse signed as the supervisor.

I don't know about the report yet. Just looked at it about 20 minutes ago. It's a purchase transaction and the report states that a lot line adjustment is in the process. It gives the old AP# and the proposed AP# as well as a reconfigured assessor map with handwritten notes. It states there is no new legal description (I'm sure there is somewhere, but they were too lazy to do their due diligence, as usual). The report is made "as is" and does not discuss hypothetical conditions.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
AS I undeerstand it, the trainee may not be supervised after 12/31/07 by a licensed appraiser. The supervisor must be certified. That is the interpretation I gather from the AQB....

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Interesting question, Greg.
I read through OREA's website; the closest thing I found was in the licensing handbook, the 2008 requirements state that a trainee's scope of practice is any property that the supervising appraiser is permitted to appraise.

It seems this question boils down to "supervising appraiser". If in order to be a supervising appraiser one must be able to sign as a supervisor on the experience log, then Mr. & Mrs. Smith are out of luck. If not, then they can appraiser together, but the trainee cannot get any experience hours.

Sounds like a worthwhile call to OREA. I presume this is the same dynamic duo that you've had the pleasure of reviewing previously.:new_smile-l:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Yes. I've been review her reports and now his and her reports for several years. They posted a complaint about me (not by name) in the CA yahoo forum stating I was out to get them. Not true.

Here is a snippet from an email from the review client and my response... It raises another question. I've "bolded" the items in question.

Hi Greg,
I figured I should send this to you as an FYI. The reason we upgraded it to a field review. By the way, if you can do 2 things for me on this one. 1. Confirm whether or not $400.00 is enough for this review ASAP please. 2. Make the review subject to the AL appraiser to sign the left side of the appraisal for us please.

*sigh*

It's 8 p.m. and I JUST GOT BACK FROM WILLITS AGAIN. Oh yeah. It was that assignment you gave me last week. LOL

$400 is a typical fee for most review assignments. This appraisal has some issues although I've only looked at it for about 10 minutes. I don't understand why Xxxxxx want's a review appraiser to require the AL supervisor to change their signature to the left side. I am sure that Xxxxxx appraisal department knows that as of Jan 1, 2008 supervising appraisers must be certified. Changing the signature does not change who developed the appraisal in the first place. It only contributes to a misleading report.

The other issues, based on a quick reading of the report, is that the pending BLA (boundary line adjustment) was not properly dealt with or reported as a hypothetical condition. The appraisal should have been made subject to it's completion including a final legal description. Otherwise, the subject property reported is not the actual property Xxxxxx plans to make a loan on.

I can't access the property listings below directly from the email link. The numbers look similar to BAREIS MLS numbers. I'll have to do an address search. I'll also have to research the issue of the recent "prior sale." These issues can be quite confusing when a property line is being adjusted.

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
Now if the loan amount is over 1 mil....:new_multi:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks