• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

3 Year Listing and Sales History

Status
Not open for further replies.

David M. Swaim

Freshman Member
Here we go again. It seems like every year more and more work is put on the appraiser while everyone wants it done faster and faster and yet fees have not changed much over the past 10-12 years. If you are going to remain in this industry I guess you just have to take it in the shorts year after year. I wonder what the industry will be like in another 10-20 years? You will probably have to write a report the size of a novel and get it done in 24 hours. Sorry for the spelling in the last post, I didn't sleep last night. :evil:

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
That's the nature of the beast called appraising. Either embrace it or get out. that's the facts m'am.

:lol:

Rob Bodkin

Professional Status
State
Washington
This does not seem like that large a burden, and certainly no liability. Why would we not look at the listing and sales history of the subject and the comps?

True our fees have not risen much in the time I've been doing this ($400 in 1990 and now $500 to $550), but we no longer use microfiche, trudge down to the county every time, print on dot matrix printers and 35mm cameras. I can do twice as many as I did ten years ago in the same time.

Pretty good deal for 150k a year.

my 2 cents.

Rob Bodkin
Freestone Partners

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Well, excuuuuuuuse.....me.Not everyone can charge what you do and remain in the business. On the other hand, our cost of living is perhaps half of yours.

My question is, our local MLS service went bankrupt and most of the records for the last several years are unobtainable. Actually, I do not subscribe to MLS....probably will have to now. I have a Realtor/friend practically next door and get whatever information I need from them. Most of the houses I've either appraised, sold, or have been in...I'm in a small town. Not everybody has access to reliable information about listing. What are we to do? Ask the homeowner? I'm sure this has been discussed in previous threads. I've just been so busy I haven't had time to read them.

B

Bemis Pownall

Home owners think we are pretty dumb.

Listed but at time of inspection but no sign when we show up. gee i fell for that one at least twice this week,,not!

:drinking:

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
:scatter:

Had on a couple months ago that came out and took the sign down AFTER I arrived.

:rofl:

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
OK - maybe I'm stupid. I've read the advisory and all I see that we are required to give is the three year sales history, and of course, as always, the one year listing history.. I received a FAX from EAppriaseIt today that told me I had to give both a three year sales history, as well as a three year "listing history" on the subject property. I guess that is what threw me for a loop. I knew about the sales history, but didn't understand why they could ask for a listing history, as those kinds of facts are really hard to determine...FSBO, etc. Am I missing something here, or am I required to give a listing history for 3 years as well?

John SRA

Judy,

The 2003 version of USPAP requires analysis of all sales in the past three years and any CURRENT listing.

Remember that USPAP establishes minimums. Clients can add additional requirements, and appraisers may choose to exceed the minimum requirements.

Have a good day

JC

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Rob wrote: This does not seem like that large a burden, and certainly no liability. Why would we not look at the listing and sales history of the subject and the comps?

True our fees have not risen much in the time I've been doing this ($400 in 1990 and now $500 to $550), but we no longer use microfiche, trudge down to the county every time, print on dot matrix printers and 35mm cameras. I can do twice as many as I did ten years ago in the same time.

Pretty good deal for 150k a year.

my 2 cents.

Rob,

I could not agree with you more!!!

TC

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks, JC. I was losing sight of client requirements again, but I do think in this instance the client thinks that USPAP 2003 requires it. I will contact them Monday and FAX them the correct advisory for us. I kept reading it over and over and was interpreting it 3 for sales and 1 for listing but thought I was just too tired from all of that last minute shopping! :oops: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks