• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

30 Month Cg Experience Requirement. Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DriveByBBQ

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Alabama
I'll make this as brief as possible although it's been an odyssey of incompetence, misinformation, and denials. I've fulfilled education and experience requirements to apply for the CG test. Excess experience hours (99% commercial) and education (80% Appraisal Institute). What are my options in the following scenario?

Timeline:

2009-2011- Shadow and assist with multiple inspections with stepfather who is CR

November 2013- Approved by state to sit for trainee exam

March 2014- Pass trainee exam

September 2014- Find mentor, register with the state, and issued a trainee license

August 2014- Sign first report as a trainee. Work over the next year plus and accumulate enough experience hours and points to qualify for CG.

Fast forward, this is where it gets interesting.

February 2016- Land job with excellent company as trainee...I'm so grateful and still am.

Feb-March 2016- Apply for "state registered real estate appraiser" so I don't have to re-register with a mentor at my new job; When I apply, my state board informs me that the only thing I lack to apply for CG is the education. I respond, "even the 30 months?" they respond, "yes". GREAT NEWS! I inform my superior. He pulls me out of production and fast tracks my education. All I do for the next 2 months is AI education, pass all course and proctored exams.

April 2016- Get previous mentor to sign my log for CG application. He's finds out I'm applying for CG and calls the state board and tells them I only started working for him in August of 2014. (Less than 30 months ago) State now says I haven't met the time requirement. State now says my experience starts on the date of the first signed report. (not even the effective date, the REPORT date) It took me 3 weeks to finish my first report. I was basically figuring it out on my own.

So my question, is there anyway around this? What are your thoughts on the time requirement?

Last edited:

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
2014 looks like the logical beginning.

Follow the rules, get certified and make money.

Just get it done. You are so close to the finish line.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
March 2017 submit your application. It sucks but doesn't look like there's any way around it. My state changed the experience rules about 8 months after I started so that I could only claim half the hours unless I signed the report. I didn't start signing reports until I was actually completing the whole appraisal (about a year later) and I was still working mostly on reports for my supervisor during that time. By the time I submitted my experience log after a bit less than three years I had close to 5,000 hours.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
I have been an appraiser for close to 35 years and many of my commercial assignments were completed before licenses were required. When I attempted to upgrade to certified general I was informed by an employee of the New Jersey board that my appraisal experience acquired in the years before USPAP could not be counted.

Noreen

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
"So my question, is there anyway around this? What are your thoughts on the time requirement?"

You are so close, don't get caught up in the minutia, keep your eye on the prize!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Licensing is more about playing by the rules, even when the rules are a moving target. The actual quality and quantity of your education and experience are a very secondary consideration.

leasedfee

Professional Status
State
Colorado
You have your supervisor-mentor and are obtaining your experience hours. Just keep working away at it and don't worry so much about squeaking by the requirements. I was a Registered Appraiser easily for two years longer than I needed, and even then my CG experience log application looked threadbare despite working full time. Make it easy for the government official to go down the check-off the boxes on your license application.

Internal Obsolescence

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Kentucky
Licensing is more about playing by the rules, even when the rules are a moving target. The actual quality and quantity of your education and experience are a very secondary consideration.

Just finish up. The real pain will come soon when the skids get greased and trainees are given consideration for other experience. Your quality experience and education will pay off quickly.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
At this point of your career its in your best interests to continue to work under the best supervision you can find and to seek out more challenging assignments that will advance your competency. So in that respect exactly when you get your CG is subordinate to the larger task of gaining the experience itself.

In this business it is your reputation for solving appraisal problems competently that you're selling, not the date on your license.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Experience approval is "yes sir, no sir, two bags full sir." Document, document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks