• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

4 - Car Garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Schendel

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Was asked to do a 2055 Exterior (which I don't really like doing, but what can I say with the way work is now), on this property and public records show this property as a 4 - car garage and it looks like there is a fourth garage door. But since it is only an exterior and it appears as if there are improvements obstructing the fourth garage door, so as to not allow access, how do state this in the report?

Is it a four car garage suffering functional obsolescence?

Or three car garage?

How would you handle this?

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Send client email citing muni info, attach photo, indicate UPGRADE to 1004 required.

they insist on 2055 - walk away.

Obsolescent

Professional Status
State
Minnesota
I'd call it a three car with storage area - if that's what is behind the decorative wall. Although, I agree with the other post and would request the order be changed to an interior.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
It would seem this is a perfect example of reasoning to upgrade to a full interior appraisal. How can you value an unknown, unusual improvement? Would anybody trust the borrower when they explained what it is?

Michael Schendel

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I guess it would help to include all relevant data in my original posting, sorry to those who replaied already.

This is a preforeclosure and the bank does not want the H.O. knowing what is going on.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Is there a golf course nearby. Looks undersized to accomadate a golf cart but with a decorative wall in front. Its reasonable to assume thats storage now.

Last edited:

Ken B

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
What Judy said. One does wonder why they didn't extend the driveway an make it functional as a 4-car garage.

Last edited:

Mztk1

Professional Status
State
Florida
Three car with storage most likely...the golfport is definately a possibility. Look for any old MLS listings, a lot of foreclosures have been on the market in the past couple of years. Look at who the builder is and then look for the floorplan on their website for the model. Who knows, it may have been the model and that fourth car bay may have been used as the office.

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I don't see the 4-car ! With an expectation of 200 to 240 sf/ garage space being common.....what do the records show for total garage area there ? Does the single roll-up door to the left have "tandem" depth that allows another car to be stored up-front. Usually I find that that these tandem garages make for great workshop space in a forward corner and a place to store the family's extra toys and stuff.

I count "cars" by the widths of the roll-up doors where one enters the garage from the driveway.

Walter Kirk

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Since you are in Arizona it's safe to assume that the house has no basement. I have noticed that lots of houses in Southern and Southwestern states have large garages instead of basements. My sister recently purchased a house in Nevada with a six car garage, she doesn't have six cars but she does have a nice workshop, excercise room and storage area in over half of the garage.

I doubt think that a partially blocked garage bay door warrents an adjustment and since this is an exterior only you can't know how the interior is used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks