• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

4000.1 Inspection Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
Since there appears to be requirements for operability and condition of appliances and water treatment systems that are more appropriately addressed by a trained, licensed home inspector, have any appraisers been able to require a client to provide them with a home inspection with or prior to their appraisal?
I have managed to require a realtor or their assistant to accompany me in new homes so that they can wait the 2 hours for the Bosch dishwasher to go through its cycle when neither of us can figure out ho to cancel it. But that's just a CYA so I don't have to leave an appliance on.
IMO, the correct (but not the cheapest) way to ensure FHA is only taking homes of decent condition as collateral is to require a home inspection prior to the appraisal with the appraisal done based on the far more reliable assumptions gleaned from such reports. But I guess the idea is that if they can get an untrained appraiser to sign off for them for items better left to home inspectors, it can save a few hundred per home. After all, think of all the money they save by hiring homeless to sign foreclosure forms instead of the lawyers required by law.

Cob

Professional Status
State
Texas
I do USDA appraisals, you a required to follow FHA guidelines and basically perform an FHA site visit, I had one of these USDA appraisals change to an FHA assignment, I called the HUD office and explained to them how original order was USDA, they told me I did NOT have to re inspect AND I could use original effective date even though there was no FHA case number at the time of the original appraisal.

tamiecape

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
If I know a Home Inspection has been done, I always request a copy and state I used it as a guide for the condition of the dwelling including the appliances, in my Appraisal. I have only had one Realtor refuse to allow me a copy of the Home Inspection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks