• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

6 Foot Ceiling Height

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullpine

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Washington
I have inspected a home with 6 foot ceilings in the bedroom addition. There are two bedrooms in the addition and there are no other bedrooms in home. According to ANSI this square footage should be excluded from GLA. After that then do I include the bedrooms in the room count in the grid or do I show it as ZERO bedrooms and try to bracket that in market. I was thinking they would function for some shorter people or children as bedrooms and may have functional issues approaching or rather exceeding say one bedroom homes. Any ideas as I have gotten none from lender contact except to proceed.

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
I have inspected a home with 6 foot ceilings in the bedroom addition. There are two bedrooms in the addition and there are no other bedrooms in home. According to ANSI this square footage should be excluded from GLA. After that then do I include the bedrooms in the room count in the grid or do I show it as ZERO bedrooms and try to bracket that in market. I was thinking they would function for some shorter people or children as bedrooms and may have functional issues approaching or rather exceeding say one bedroom homes. Any ideas as I have gotten none from lender contact except to proceed.

I would exclude it from GLA and report 0 bedrooms. That is what is there. Forget bracketing nonsense for the bedrooms, the house has huge functional issues.

Find comps that sold where there was extensive renovation needed, ie. kitchen fire etc.

It's going to be an ugly report because it's an ugly subject.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Alternately, what would the cost to raise the ceiling/roof structure? Combination of Physical/Functional obsolescence. It one of those things where the structure exists, but doesn't meet standards. You can't ignore/exclude it. Rather you have to report what you find.

JMO

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Is ANSI a requirement in your State? Fannie Mae says you can deviate from the norm (not in those actual words). I have seen many older homes built in the early 1900s up to the 1930s where there have been bedroom additions with 6' ceilings. I don't think there would be a problem as long as you can show there is a market for it.

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
ANSI is not a law it's a guideline. I agree 6' ceilings are not typical but why go down a rabbit trail to hell. Appraise the home as a 2 bedroom and include in the GLA - State your findings and be done. I once owned a rental that had 6.5' bedrooms and I listed and sold the house in 5 days and it was financed with a FHA loan.

The real issue is you cannot pretend the bedrooms don't exist because they DO exist and the owner may suffer financial damage because the lender most likely would have funded his loan with 6' ceilings but nobody is funding a home with no bedrooms.

Sometimes it's good to think about ending up on a witness stand. Imagine the attorney presents photos of the house including the living room, kitchen, bath and bedrooms. Question: Mr Appraiser what are these rooms ? Answer well a living room, kitchen and bath but I pretended the bedrooms were not there because ANSI does not like 6' ceilings.

(USPAP) Scope of work. When you contacted the client and informed them the ceilings were 6' the client instructed you to proceed and appraise the house and since you agreed your scope of work is to complete the report with 6' bedroom ceilings.

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois

(USPAP) Scope of work. When you contacted the client and informed them the ceilings were 6' the client instructed you to proceed and appraise the house and since you agreed your scope of work is to complete the report with 6' bedroom ceilings.

Oh my, talk about a dangerous business practice.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

Ansi aside, market expectation for ceiling height in most areas are 7 feet or higher (8 feet average). So 6 feet is a deficiency/funct obsolescence . The bedrooms exist so report them, but also report, analyze and adjust for their limited use and obsolescence.

You mention the 2 bedrooms with 6 feet ceilings are in an ADDITION to the house. Was the addition permitted (permits pulled)?. I doubt it, what professional would build an addition with 6 foot ceilings? And what building code /zoning office would approve permits for it? Which could indicate overall crappy construction or "homemade" character of the addition.

If addition is inferior construction/non permitted, it's value is further reduced, in which case they can put beds in them and use them as bedrooms, but are they glorified storage rooms? Or is market thirsty for bedrooms in an otherwise small house..useful for young teens/kids despite low ceilings, it's a place to sleep /put stuff. Possible inferior construction/permits other aspects have to be considered with this addition overall quality of addition including the low ceiling height.

Last edited:

bullpine

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Washington

The lender wants the bedrooms included as GLA. How does that work concerning the ANSI method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks