• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

7 Hour USPAP Seminar--Mesa, Arizona 02/28/2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Phoenix Chapter of the National Association of Independent Fee Appraisers is sponsoring the
7 Hour USPAP Update Course 2008/2009 Presented by Instructor Danny Willey, SRA, IFA Past Chairman of the Appraisal Standards Board Thursday, February 28, 2008

Contact j m s t r a t t o n @ a z n e x . n e t

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Maybe Danny will stay over and do his Zaio presentation. He will need some rest after riding that motorcycle all the way from TN.

Last edited:

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Enough is enough.

If you accepted and completed an appraisal assignment for Ameriquest as a fee appraiser would it be accurate for me to suggest that you were acting as a spokesman for the company? I don't think so and neither do you. Your assignment would stand on its own and be judged on its own merits regardless of how they used the information or whatever shenanigans may or may not have been involved with that deal.

Danny Wiley can speak for himself, but the fact remains that in early January 2007 Zaio was in search of a USPAP expert to act as an outside consultant and review parts of their program for USPAP compliance.

In fact, before they approached Danny they approached me; we just didn't come to terms. I have no idea how many people they approached before they worked out a deal with Danny and it's none of my business to speculate.

If you've ever worked for a client who was having internal problems then you know that those types of clients need good advice even more than do the AAA rated clients. As professionals, we're not just here to service that part of the business community that we like, but to provide services to everyone who needs them.

If Zaio took some of the advice that Danny gave them then I'm sure it improved their program and contributed to the public trust in the appraisal profession. If they didn't then it wouldn't be the first time that a client paid for advice they didn't take. Either way, when an appraiser provides professional services in a professional manner it advances the interests of the public trust. I've taken more than one assignment that I didn't want to perform so as to prevent my client from going to another appraiser that I knew would screw it up.

To reiterate, there is a big distinction to make between being an employee and making/enforcing company policy vs. being an outside consultant and providing analysis and advice.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
BTW, I don't need the CE hours, but if I did need the update and I did have my choice of instructors I'd pick Danny over virtually any other USPAP instructor I know. You guys can take that for whatever it is or isn't worth.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Gosh George did I hit that nerve or something else?

I reserve the right to refuse an assignment from anyone for any legal reason. Others have the right o accept those assignments and don't have to explain themselves to me or anyone else.

I don't believe that Zaio (nor several dozen other companies) are good for the appraisal profession......nor do I think many new products are good for the public. If people want an appraisal of a specific property, as of a specific date I would recommend a live visit by a certified professional appraiser. That same advice would apply for pest control problems, accounting and tax preparation, automobile problems, health care issues, legal issues and other areas of professional service., My concern is that the word "appraisal" as the man on the street believes it to be is being adulterated, castrated, minimized, cheapened and distorted.

My opinions have nothing to do with my income, stock prices, market share or things of that nature. When a company uses me, my name or reputation to sell a product......you will not need to question the fact that I am 100% sold on the product. When I become a pitchman for a product...I expect to be questioned and I expect to answer.

Your opinion is yours and mine is mine.

Last edited:

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Please stay on topic and that is there will be a seven hour continuing education course offered February 28th in Mesa, Arizona. Since many Arizona appraisers are required to have their CE hours completed by June 30, 2008--this seminar will be an excellent opportunity to earn seven of those hours from an excellent instructor. If this posting deteriorates into a cat fight I will remove the original posting and close the thread. Which would be a shame because there might be some interest in the seminar by some one in Arizona that is not on my email list or maybe from another state that would like to take a mini vacation in a warm climate.

The following day February 29th the Arizona Chapter of the American Society of Farm Managers & Rural Appraisers is presenting a seminar titled "Spring Ag Outlook Forum" in Tempe, AZ with topics relating to Economic Outlook, Light Rail Update, Organic Farming, Water Reserves Update at Salt River Project, Ethanol Production in Arizona, Proposition 207, Agricultural Land & Lease values regarding ranches, dairies, Imperial Valley, CA, Southeast Arizona, Pinal County, Yuma County and Maricopa County. www.asfmra-az.com

joe huffman

Professional Status
State
Missouri
That does not say much for the other 500 plus USPAP instructors. Lots of us are good at what we do.....

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
BTW, I don't need the CE hours, but if I did need the update and I did have my choice of instructors I'd pick Danny over virtually any other USPAP instructor I know. You guys can take that for whatever it is or isn't worth.

Ditto, George. Although there are some good instructors, AQB Certified USPAP and otherwise, Danny is one of the most entertaining folks I've had the pleasure of experiencing. He manages a group well and has a knowledge of the inner workings of the USPAP few, if any, can match.

If you have a chance to attend a class instructed by Danny, by all means take advantage of it.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Jo Ann,

It was really great seeing you yesterday in Mesa. I justed wanted to publicly thank you and Ann for inviting me out.

That was one of the best group of students I have even had!! It is easy to teach when the students are attentive, paticipating, etc. I had an absolute blast.

Attention other instructors - If Jo Ann asks you to teach in the area - do it!!

Best Wishes

DW

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I just want to add my support for Danny Wiley. I have had several occassions to seek his advice over the years. He has given me good, sound advice, and has never charged me a fee. He encouraged me when I had almost given up getting my certification as an AQB Instructor, and has been a consistent source of advice since.

If I were held to account for every time I had reviewed some ones product, their pending case before a state board, or my testimony as an expert for them, it would be a long list. If one does not like a product or company, don't buy the product. If you don't like the person, tell them privately. The rest of us could care less.

Problem is we have too many in this business that see their roles as some modern day Don Quixite(pronounced as Don Key Ho Te for those of you who are not literary scholars) and cannot find enough wind mills to joust at. :icon_mrgreen:

PS, you can also add them to your list of those banned from sending you e-mails.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks