• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

95 degrees today . A/C NOT working

Status
Not open for further replies.

CGgonnabee

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
I did an inspection today...it was blasted hot and the a/c was not working. (I checked the system...heat worked, etc.,). The thermostat was complicated (I probably needed an IT guy with me). Anyway, the HO said that he had called for service, but it would probably be a week before the overwhelmed technician could check out the problem.

Basically, the system worked fine, except for the fact that it did not cool (probably needs freon). I know that I have to report this condition. Based on what I know, and now what I have re-read, this condition does not create a "subject to" condition. I know that this mortgage broker is going to ask me about this so I want to be sure that my ducks are in a row.

Will the borrower be able to certify, with a repair ticket, that this has been fixed? OR will I have to go back and check this? Just trying to anticipate what I have to do before I go on vacation.

Please be nice to me...the a/c is broken at my house too! This may be a stupid question....but I am VERY tired, hot and droopy.

And I hope that by asking this question, I help someone else. Probably half of the East Coast has this problem right now.

I AM NOT :coolsmiley: TODAY

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
The specific DE UW is the only one who can answer this question.

c w d

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
It really comes down to what do you feel comfortable with: the receipt of repair or re-inspecting?

Personally, it would depend. If the home is overall in above average to good condition with obvious indications that the home owner maintains the home then I would probably use the receipt as verification if it was descriptive enough to identify the repair and the address at which the repair was conducted.

If the home showed signs of deferred maintenance I would re-inspect.

Theres not specific requirement that I'm aware of to re-inspect. The lender may require it. But, you certainly need to use sound judgment if you do not re-inspect. Homes that are well maintained with a a/c or plumbing problem at the time of inspection will most likely be repaired in a timely manner, in my experience.

Oh wait, I forgot, I'm in the FHA forum. All of the above pertains to conventional. Yes. I would re-inspect.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I would require it to be repaired....resulting in a reinspection. However, the underwriter can over-ride that condition.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I don't know of an MPR for AC.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Tennessee
What is customary for the market area? It's just like gutters, downspouts and splash blocks. It's not required by FHA but it is customary for my area. If central air is customary and it does not work and it gets very hot, then I would require a repair.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Agree with the others, if AC is customary for the market than call for a repair, it is a judgement call.

As for the final inspection, just recommend to the UW in your report for the licensed professional to submit the repair receipt to the UW for their approval. What better way to confirm an actual professional repaired the system. If the appraiser were just called back to see if it was working, who knows, the homeowners flunky brother in law could have just played with it enough to get it to work for one day.

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
I agree, I would condition for re-inspection on FHA and let the UW decide.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
It's just some depreciation caused by obsolesence. Easily curable. We're not supposed to call for inspections or repairs unless there is a condition which adversely effects the livability, soundness or structural integrity. If someone can't live in 95 degree weather they should move to Alaska.

Marcia Langley

Professional Status
State
Missouri
If AC is customary in the neighborhood and the effective date was in a hot season it could have a big impact on value as of the effective date.

Remember, if it is not associated with the HC that it has been repaired (check box 3), it must be shown as "no AC" in the grid. It would be compared to other houses with no AC.

If your opinion of value is subject to the HC that the repair is complete, you will compare it to properties that have AC.

Whether or not you reinspect depends on whether or not you make your opinion of value subject to the HC that it had been repaired as of the effective date (check box 3). Then if the client orders a completion report, you'll reinspect.

You should not depend on a paper document that says it has been repaired. The client can do that, not you. If the client is willing to accept that piece of paper as proof of repair, he does not need the completion report. He can clear the condition himself with the paper document.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks