• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A bad appraising day. (Vent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathy in FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Sometimes, it just happens. I should have known when I woke up and it was raining and we were under tornado watch and I had four inspection appointments in three different counties. You'd think I'd have figured it was coming when I saw the THREE "value check" faxes that promised me orders if I could just make X value in my machine.

Was it the REO property that the neighbor had fenced ACROSS the public road so that I couldn't make that inspection? (no gate, mind you, just fence.) That'll be an interesting legal situation. And it's still pouring.

Could have been that large commercial assignment for a steady client that came up short...and the buyer leaving messages wanting to "discuss" the value with me. (sigh) Maybe the sneaking suspicion that I won't get the next one.

Possibly the homeowner who said that the "other" appraiser had been out earlier in the week. (An uncertified competitor who was being signed off by an appraiser working in the selling broker's office...so the bank couldn't take it...and they called me.) And yep, it's still raining!

Or maybe it was the last assignment of the day, at 5:30 for a lady who talked to me for an hour about the features of her lakefront DW (with no comps within 40% of the sales price) that was cancelled when I got back to my office.

Sigh. This is a good job, but sometimes it makes me crazy!!! At least it stopped raining!!

Kathy in FL

Caterina Platt

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Mexico
You certifiably did have a crappy day, Kathy. Thank God they're not all like that, eh?

Lotsa rain, hmm. How 'bout a hot adult beverage (or 3 if you don't have early appts.) and dinner out??? Usually kills the pain. :lol:

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Kathy:
It must me the phase of the moon. I wish we had rain here. This morning the entire earth was covered with ice ½ inches thick. It took me an hour to chisel it off my windshield. Then I went to work on a solid sheet of ice. I could have ice-skated all the way. Raining again and refreezing again now. Suppose to snow tonight over the ice. I came home tonight and was standing in the yard and within three minutes I heard three trees fall and the lights flickering. Just waiting for the power to go out. I got one call today. I did an appraisal 6 weeks ago for a lady that was executor of her mother's estate and she hadn't paid up. I sent her another bill yesterday. Today she called and said she hadn't had to time to read the report until today and had some questions about the appraisal. She is a widow and lives alone. Real busy person. Said she will send a check when the ice melts. Worked all day on a cost approach then deleted it. Haven't been able to work all week because of ice storms constantly one after the other. The entire planet looks like a crystal make-believe-land. Then to top it all off, Mr. Rogers dies.

BR549

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
Gee I am sooo glad that I am not the only one!!! Mine does NOT top yours, but down in the middle of the Georgia boonies, a single-wide, built around all sides for a total of almost 2000 sqft on a public ONE LANE road(loosely speaking) with thousands of junk card in all the neighbor yards as well as the subject, then a single wide pushed up against the home in a T fashion (the addition, again loosely speaking) not tied down. BUT permantly affixed the home, AND some standing water in a trench from the neighbor property.
Well lets see, WE DO conform to the neighborhood. Value :?: , Marketablility :evil:
so happy hour here we come :D :D :D
Did I mention FHA :oops: :oops:
of course in the rain :roll:

Dennis Condon

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Well, at least the number makers and the folks who work for the AMC's can breathe a sigh of relief now that the forum has turned its rath towards the weather. What next? You know what, and when the subject matter turns to bowel movements I'll be logging off. Well, "Depends".

Hope you have a better weekend.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
We would kill for rain! Things will get better, I promise!

Christine Marie

Professional Status
State
Mississippi
am glad to know i am not the only one being affected by rain... my 9:00 cancelled, which was good since 'i could have sworn cats and dogs were flying past my window', next one: 11:00~vacant land, and we have received so much rain that 'everywhere' within a 100 {i.e.} mile radius is soggy, but the owner had a four-wheel drive truck, and was willing to 'slip and slide' me around to the back [and perimeters] of the property.... I wasn't nervous until we had to cross the levy back over the lack that we had already slid down/around from originally.... "EGAD", i was thinking, what wouldn't i do for money....???? then my 3:00 appt. suddenly remembered a dentist appt., by this point, 'quite,frankly' i didn't care....."whoo!"......much better. thanks for readin/listening! :lol:

Tom McDowell

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
North Carolina
If it's raining I don't do inspections.
If it forcast rain I don't do inspections.

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
We would kill for rain! Things will get better, I promise!

Mike, I thot you had mucho snow in CO?
Wrong / dry side of the mountain? :?

If it's raining I don't do inspections.
If it forcast rain I don't do inspections.

Tom, it doesn't rain here much, but I do them anyway. I'll admit, it sucks to measure a house in the pouring rain. But on those times when it rains for a week, or is just predicted to rain here and there, whatcha gonna do?

You folks in the snow, 8O
No envy here. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks