• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A Cold Morning Poll

What is the coldest temperature you've ever inspected a property?

• Never below 32 degrees

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20 degrees to 32 degrees

• 10 degrees to 20 degrees

• Zero to 10 degrees

• minus 10 degrees to Zero

• Under minus 10 degrees

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
It is a minus 8 degrees outside this morning up here in the North Country. That has me wondering just how cold others have ventured forth to inspect properties.

My personal record is -18 degrees while inspecting a building site near the South Br of the AuSable River. When I stopped to take a photo of the vapor coming off the river, my 35mm camera stopped working, never to go again.

How about you? What is you personal lowest inspection temperature?

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I did one at 15 degrees once. Didn't like it, but my cash flow was "frozen" until I got some work out!

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Depends on if you're counting what the thermometer says or if you're going by wind chill factor. :)
I've done a few inspections when the temps have been below zero, but the local news has reported wind chill factors of more than minus 20.

Heard on the news that Ironwood, Michigan got a nice dump of snow yesterday. I think they said over 2 feet and it was still coming down. How much of the white stuff did you get?

Bobby Bucks

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
North Dakota
Richard temparatures that low are why whiskey flasks were invented......as we used to say, It's as cold as a witch's t.. well....anyway, as cold as that day was, I'm laying 5 to 1 odds that there is a Texan here on the forum who will claim to have experienced a colder day than that down on the Brazos. :)

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
We dont have 0 degree days but once every 20 year and you cab bet this boy ain't inspecting no stinkin house in that cold of weather!

I love the south!

B

Bemis Pownall

We dont have 0 degree days but once every 20 year and you cab bet this boy ain't inspecting no stinkin house in that cold of weather!

AT LEAST WE DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SCORPIONS OR TERMITES.. :D

I FEEL WE ARE LIKE THE MAIL MAN/WOMEN-PERSONS. IF YOU MISS A DAY OF INSPECTIONS DUE TO FOUL WEATHER ONE MAY NEVER GET CAUGHT UP AGAIN. :(

WALKED THROUGH SNOW UP TO MY BUTT TO INSPECT FORECLOSURES MORE THEN ONCE.

:icecream:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Cold doesn't stop me, it is the ice and slick roads that stop me. I have no problem driving in snow, just put the chains on and go, but the ice....... sorry, you are gonna wait a couple of days. Which is why I am not looking forward to Thursday and Friday. We are expecting sleet and freezing rain. Oh, great! Well, maybe it will give me time for a book by the warm fireplace.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I am not sure of the year....but I think it was 1990, we had a two week period where it never got above 0 and it was -20 for several days. Work had to go on. I think that was when I learned.."never leave your camera in the car". I bought electric heaters that circulated hot water through the engines so we could start them. We were living in a condo at the time and didn't have a garage. I was fortunate to have my old 73 bronco so I could get around and spent a good part of several days assisting people who had to get to work with transportation.

Our climate is very strange...can be -20 one day and 50 the next. If the winds come over the mountains we get what is called Chinook effect
Today is overcast and the temp is 28 with wind chill of 18. Friday is supposed to be 50 and then snow on Saturday. Go figure!

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Local lows and highs:

Yesterday - 49/69

Today - 48/68

Rest of the week - 48/68

Swell from the n/west (290 degrees), 2-3 ft, 15 second intervals; water temps in the low 60's.

Cool, partly cloudy

It must be fall 8) .

George Hatch

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
Often we work below zero here. I do a fair amount of work in the winter months on skiis or snowshoes. If the distances are too great I use a snowmobile. This is considering temp only. It is normally below zero when considering wind chill in the winter.

Lowest temp? I have spent many days at below -20 F; with a wind chill who know? 50 to 100 below. These are really the most beautiful days to be out (but very dangerous). The skys are blue, the snow is white, the trees are green, and the air is crisp and clean.

I keep my camera over the defroster while traveling and then it goes against my body.

Lends a new look at the term "pocket palm".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks