• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A Deal Too Good To Turn Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
My daughter took a call yesterday from an appraisal company from Idaho that also does work in NV. The lady indicated that a member of her husband's family was buying a house in the Reno area and they needed an appraisal and wanted to know our turn time. My daughter responded that it would be about 3 weeks. The lady then asks if the turn time could be expedited in any way & Nikki responded by saying that there wasn't much that could be done. This lady must have anticipated this response because she offered her own solution that was just too good to turn down.

The lady indicated that her husband was also an appraiser but he was licensed in California and not NV. She further stated that she had checked a site and knew that we used Alamode software which they also use. She offered to have her husband do the appraisal on their software and then somehow upload the report through Alamode and convert it to our software. Then all I would have to do is sign the report and EDI it to the lender. What a great idea. Let someone else do the complete report and all I have to do is sign the report and collect the fee. :D

Nikki stayed calm trying to explain the dire consequences of us agreeing to such a deal but this lady was undeterred. After a lengthy conversation, the lady finally admitted that there could be some ethics issues involved and thanked Nikki for her time but indicated she would have to keep looking to find someone willing to help them. Has anyone ever heard of a better deal than this? :blink:

Randy Beigh

Larry

It is a perfect example of if a person wants to be unethical or criminal, there is nothing except lack of creativity that can stop them.

Was reading a news story this morning about an Australian man that attempted to hijack an airplane using wooden stakes. Next, they will outlaws wooden stakes on planes.

Good story on this Friday morning. I hope this lady doesn't call me. Hey, did you ever wonder if this was just a crank call? :D

BigBlueGA

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Somebody should really start a do-your-own-appraisal company!

1. Write appraisal how-to
2. Provide forms
3. Provide signature
4. PROFIT! :D

larryhaskell

Professional Status
State
Nevada
Michael:

I often consider your suggestion whenever I get an off the wall call. However, in this case she actually gave us the name of their appraisal company. The company does exist and is actually listed on Wayne's site when searching for an appraiser in NV.

Michael Reilly

Larry,

Copy that. I think that as things get worse (meaning the fraud out there) things like this will happen, meaning attempts to get appraisers to trap themselves.

Mreilly-NY
ACE

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
Isn't that sort of like how AMC's got started?? :p

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
Randy,

Was reading a news story this morning about an Australian man that attempted to hijack an airplane using wooden stakes. Next, they will outlaws wooden stakes on planes.

Perhaps the plane was full of vampires :batangel:

Ryan :D

Linda M Lynch

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
There must be a full moon. I just had a similar "offer" this week. Mine came from a loan officer though. He wanted to know my turn around time and when I told him I was now 3 weeks out he said that the borrower was an appraiser himself and had offered to do his own appraisal and just have someone else sign off on it. I told him that if the other appraiser didn't value his license then that was his problem but it sure wasn't going to be mine. I wonder if they found someone to do it?

Sheikh Yerbouti

Professional Status
State
Arizona
In my other life I do automobile appraisals, mostly for insurance claims. When an insured disputes the insurer's offer in a total loss or theft claim, standard industry practice is to have each side hire an appraiser, with the hope that the two appraisers can agree on a value. If not, a third appraiser is brought in to act as an "umpire". I'm usually the one hired by the insurance company. I've got one on my desk right now that is similar. The car, a 1987 Honda with about 220,000 miles, was stolen. The owner is a snowbird, lives in Minnesota but winters in Scottsdale, where the car was stolen. Anyway, this guy calls me up, says he's going to do his own appraisal. After all, who knows the car better than him? He says he's a retired auto appraiser. I reminded him that his policy says the appraisals have to be done by unbiased appraisers. Then he starts puffing up his chest about how he was a chapter president in ASA, and how only ASA members should do his appraisal. Then I tell him that I just happen to be the president of the Phoenix Metro chapter of ASA, and the only auto appraiser in Phoenix who belongs to ASA. He backed way off, and then just started telling me about how his car was never driven in winter, and it was in excellent condition. Yah, sure.

The next call I get from him is that he's going to have someone in Minnesota appraise it for him, but that the guy used to work for him, and he's just going to give the appraiser all the comps, so it'll be the same thing as if he appraised his own car. This clown actually seems proud of what he's doing. I turned my appraisal in already to my client. Somehow I think this one is going to drag on for a while. All this for a car that's worth maybe $1,600 if it's in good shape.

Dave McReynolds
Phoenix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks