• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A Duplex Or No?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotnoworrys

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
My latest assignment is for a residence that the county describes as a single family residence. The homeowner tells me it is two-residence in one.
Do I compare it to area duplexes or SFR? I have found zero SFR with an accessory unit with second kitchen.

I am thinking zoning is not the bases by which to describe the improvement. I do the inspection tomorrow. I suspect that both sides are not equal as the photos show that it is not symmetrical. Will that make a difference?

Have any of you used a duplex to compare to a SFR with an ADU?

Thanks for your input.

Ken Masla

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
My latest assignment is for a residence that the county describes as a single family residence. The homeowner tells me it is two-residence in one.
Do I compare it to area duplexes or SFR? I have found zero SFR with an accessory unit with second kitchen.

I am thinking zoning is not the bases by which to describe the improvement. I do the inspection tomorrow. I suspect that both sides are not equal as the photos show that it is not symmetrical. Will that make a difference?

Have any of you used a duplex to compare to a SFR with an ADU?

Thanks for your input.

You have to go through the building records.

In my county, there are many duplexes that show as SFR on public records. Back in the old days a duplex would be 2 SFRs on 1 parcel, so the building records just show SFR according to the last permit.

For instance a SFR built in 1920. Then in 1955 another SFR was built on the parcel making the property technically a duplex, but the county will update based on the last permit, which will say SFR.

I am assuming it is a detached duplex. Go to the county and go through all the records.

Noreen

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
When did it become okay for someones "hot air" ( words) become more credible than municipal records??? I'm sorry we are supposed to be able to be relied on to tell the factual truth. In my coverage areas, the municipal determination prevails.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Imo you need to inspect the subject and see what it actually is comprised of...could be the owner put a wall down the middle of a house , who knows till you see it. After you see it you know what you have ( despite what owner says, believe your own eyes). and then can see if it is legal for zoning etc before tackling what comps to use. If it was ordered as a single family and turns out to be a duplex, call client because they might cancel the assignment or put it on hold

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
City and County records can be totally wrong and the owner could be correct-- the D-*** appraisers in my area confuse county use-code with actual zoning and permitted uses. This is one you are just going to go look at.. Did the lender order a 2 unit appraisal ? If so ask if they can provide a title report BUT no matter what just go look at the property ***

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Hopefully this isn't a "48 hr TAT" assignment.

Inspect the property and see what is actually physically there. I have similar issues in my market. SFH with ADU and 2 unit multi-family. It can get frustrating distinguishing the two at times.
I am thinking zoning is not the bases by which to describe the improvement.
Zoning can and most likely will be your friend in this situation. Find out what the property is (physically inspect) and then see what zoning allows. A good HBU analysis, which includes zoning (legally permissible) will really be beneficial at the end of the day.

As a last resort, if this becomes too much/overwhelming, there's no shame in backing out of the assignment. We've all been there before.

gotnoworrys

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Okay... I've checked it out. The property is zoned multi-family. County property appraiser has the use stated as single family residential. There are two distinct living units. This home is new(ish) and it is all part of the original design with a concrete wall separating the two units (attached). One utility meter. Entry to the second dwelling is through the garage or the outside. One side is a 4 bed, 3.1 baths and the other side is a 2 bed, 2.1 bath. The neighborhood is a mixed bag of nuts. There is everything. Subject is WAY bigger than any SFR or duplex to be found. Quality of each unit is equal. Based on GLA alone it is comparable to the quads on the same street.
County property appraisers measure the outside but I don't think they actually get into these homes because they get the room count wrong so often. I question if they know what this is.
Does a duplex require two electrical meters? I haven't read that anywhere. Ugh....
I'll let the client know.

DWiley

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
City and County records can be totally wrong and the owner could be correct-- the D-*** appraisers in my area confuse county use-code with actual zoning and permitted uses. This is one you are just going to go look at.. Did the lender order a 2 unit appraisal ? If so ask if they can provide a title report BUT no matter what just go look at the property ***
Same here. :) All 2-4 unit properties in Nashville are listed as COMMERCIAL. That does NOT make them commercial properties. Property tax codes are for tax purposes. I would never let tax codes dictate how I handled a property.

gotnoworrys

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Same here. :) All 2-4 unit properties in Nashville are listed as COMMERCIAL. That does NOT make them commercial properties. Property tax codes are for tax purposes. I would never let tax codes dictate how I handled a property.
That is interesting. All appraisers don't agree... just look at this thread! I wish these things were more black and white.
There were likely reasons that these people chose to call this a SFR rather than a duplex (I think it was tax related). A buyer would see it as a duplex.
I would guess that due to the multifamily zoning, it is legal but it is not recorded as a multifamily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks