• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A Framed house with wood shake shingles

Status
Not open for further replies.

dane84094

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Utah
Alright one more time today. Has anyone run across FHA/HUD having problems with the wood shake shingles on an A framed home not being painted? I cannot find any such guideline in the HUD handbook 4150.2. I told him to check with his underwriter while I checked into it as well. His concern is exposed/unpainted wood. Thanks again in advance!!!

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
"painted" shingles would impede expansion and contraction and ruin the roof. The shingles are not SIDING. They are roof covering...even if it has the affect of siding. Are the ends of the A frame regular siding and is it painted?

dane84094

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Utah
that was my huntch... but better safe than sorry!!! thanks boyd!!!

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Cedar shake shingles are are used both as a siding and a roof covering. Rarely do I see them painted. Some times stained siding, but you still would call that exposed wood. I agree that painted cedar shingles would hasten the deterioration process.:nono:

Rufus

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Indiana
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks