• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A Future Role for the Appraisal Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Anyone who teaches any aspect of real estate appraising should be reading the posts in this forum. Much valuable information appears here.
We need a way to keep from losing those many excellent posts of the past.

In the future, I can visualize a publication that would be a selection of the best posts in this forum (starting at day one of the Forum) perhaps called "Readings in Real Property Appraising". In that publication, the entire text of the selected posts would appear, giving credit to the author of each.

Yet another publication could be "A Compendium of Present-Day Thought in Real Estate Appraising", based on posts found in this Forum. This would be a summary, or abstract of the best posts found here. Many of the recognized professions have similar publications, particulary the biological and physical sciences. Similar publications in real estate appraising could certainly contribute to the body of knowlege of real estate appraising.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
The most obvious (and easiest way) would be for someone to start a web site and arrange them by subject. Then if someone wanted to publish them it could go from there.

They could even be posted in PDF format for easy printing.

I think you have a great idea Thomas but good luck getting anyone to help you. One thing I have learned is great idea's die for lack of someone willing to do anyting. I have made a couple of suggestions on here and not one person was willing to put in any effort. It's easier to complain than actually do something to change the system.

I will step off my soapbox now. :)

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Thomas: That is an excellent idea but not necessarily for the reason you suggested. I went to my mailbox yesterday and received my free copy of a national appraisal magazine and assume you did too. It was nothing but an advertising flyer interspersed with a few vanilla appraisal articles to justify their existence. I receive about five different rags of similar quality and content every year. Nothing but soap ads with enough vanilla flavoring in the form of bland and irrelevant articles to justify themselves. Mold, the scurge of the ages rises again! What to do???
While all of this is going on, what is happening in the appraisal industry? The 3rd largest corporation in American history goes bankrupt because of faulty appraisals. One of our own forumites for whom I have a great deal of respect for his character, knowledge, intelligence, and experience, is charged for some off the wall violations, is tried by an administrative law judge and completely cleared of any wrong doing, and then his state board, the infamous North Carolina Appraisal Board, says the judge is out to lunch and takes his license anyway for a year. Our USPAP is morphing into a completely different being annually and the entire profession is becoming irrelevant and while all of this is going on, are these real estate rags informing the public or lending themselves to educate the parishioners about the problems? The answer is "hell no!" To do so may cause controversy and cause them to lose a soap ad.
As far as I am concerned, these mush-mouthed-soap-flyer real estate magazines should use a softer quality of paper so we can we can put them in the bottom of the bird cage. I say thank God for the Internet where we can tell it like it is and the soap companies be damned! If they don’t like it, to bad! Flip to another channel. Just think of all the trees that died to produce just one run of those worthless rags.

Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks for the responses thus far. I guess we all realize that the entire content of the Forum is copyrighted, and someone would have to buy the rights from Wayne, if he did not want to give permission for their use.

Regards,

Ross (CO)

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thomas, ....your thoughts are well-taken and we all know that we have read Forum postings that truly are "suitable for framing" ! I guess it takes someone with the entreprenuerial gumption, and needed start-up funding, and rights to the information that "is" the meat of such a publication, and then that period of time to see if the market likes the product. O.K., I'll ask a first question. Who would want to buy the book ? Or, would only other appraisers want to buy the book ? Why buy the book when one can "tune in" daily ? Only if such a book were required reading for some specific intended audiences (hint-hint) would the greatest good come from the venture. Would the profit of the venture be a split-fee relationship with the contributors to the publication ? Dollars per entry, or dollars per column-inch ? Would we need a blue-ribbon committee to make the selections ? Surely one of my postings might qualify for print in the compendium, yes ? ......O.K...O.K... O.K... O.K......all right, none of them would qualify.....but I still think you are all nice folks, anyway, and I mean it. Pondering a moment on Austin's comments, I think that the freedom of this internet access to the Forum is the best strength that we have. The word gets out......and it doesn't get TAXED ! ( Perhaps Wayne has a differeing perspective) Print a profitable book and the gubmint sticks its long arm in somebody's short pocket......and that insidious national tradition often leaves unsettled feelings with me. Thomas, a good suggestion, none the less.

Mike Simpson

Dear Thomas,

I've copied many posts for later reference. I've gleaned more here over the years than I learned from most of my former employers. Let me rephrase that--I've learned more about appraising. This site is an invaluable source of information.

Dear Austin in Virginia,

I couldn't disagree more with your assessment that--"the 3rd largest corporation in American history goes bankrupt because of faulty appraisals."

Many appraisers contend that it's the various (original) Lenders who are to blame. It's these entities & individuals who don't pay appraiser's and blackball them when they "come in low" with a value estimate. The L.O. hand picks appraisers who "play ball," and their Managers aren't unwilling dupes who're unaware of what's going on.

Ever hear of reverse evolution? Same thing's been going on in our professional for sometime--unnatural selection. The knowledgeable, ethical appraiser is sent packing in favor of no talent "entrepreneurs" whose only attributes appear to be the ability to manage minions of unlicensed associates, and hit predetermined numbers. Same things been happening in the Home & Pest Inspection industries for years!

Appraiser's aren't to blame--scared, unwilling politicians (now I gotta go wash my mouth out) are more to blame. You know--the same kinda people who blamed the commercial appraiser for the half trillion dollar bailout of the late 80's. The same kinda people who're currently blaming the accountants for the fiasco in the 6 trillion dollar rip-off of investors worldwide.

Who do ya think's next--the residential appraiser that's who. Despite an online petition signed by 6,800 + individuals, they're gonna blame us. It's not the pandering real estate agent who tells the L.O. "find someone who'll do it, or we'll take our work elsewhere," no it's the residential appraiser's fault. Except those who work in fields other than mortgage lending, or those forced into retirement or some other field because they "wouldn't play ball."

Ya know--call me simple--but, if ya got cancer in your elbow ya don't amputate at the wrist!

-Mike

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Why publish something on paper when it is already published in electronic format?

In addition to that it is searchable by keyword, phrase, and author. Try to do that with a magazine or book.

Also, as someone has mentioned, all content here is copyrighted by me.

Have no fear, I do intend to preserve the posts about appraisal, especially the forums relating to specific sections of appraisal, such as FHA, Tech, Urgent/Help Needed, Commercial, Improving the Profession and so forth. I do not intend to preserve the Watercooler or some of the other forums and will prune their posts as we need space.

Thanks for your support!

Austin

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Virginia
Wayne:
One suggestion for the sake of posterity and World History. I think you should reconsider and preserve the “Watercooler Posts” so when the history is written of the decline of Western Civilization there will be a written record of the kind of thinking that precipitated the down fall. Maybe the “Watercooler Guru” will finally get the attention he actually deserves and some archeologists in the future will ask: “Why could they not see where this guy was leading them?”

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wayne:
One suggestion for the sake of posterity and World History. I think you should reconsider and preserve the “Watercooler Posts” so when the history is written of the decline of Western Civilization there will be a written record of the kind of thinking that precipitated the down fall. Maybe the “Watercooler Guru” will finally get the attention he actually deserves and some archeologists in the future will ask: “Why could they not see where this guy was leading them?”

I guess whoever the Watercooler Guru is has worked their magic because you can't lead unless people follow.

No, the Watercooler is just a place to swap jokes, make friends, and the like. Since there is no appraisal information there it will not be preserved.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Posted: Sat Jan 04, 2003 9:53 pm    Post subject:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Austin wrote:
Wayne:

I guess whoever the Watercooler Guru is has worked their magic because you can't lead unless people follow.

Wayne,
I saw a bumper sticker that said "If the people lead, the leaders will follow"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks