• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

A La Mode Total

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
I bought a new computer a few months ago. It has an Intel(R) Xeon(R) 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz, 32 GB of RAM, and solid-state hard drive with a terabyte of storage. Everything on this computer is very fast except for Total. I called A La Mode about it and they said it was Windows 10/OneDrive. I called Microsoft and they helped me remove OneDrive. My Total is still slow. I constantly have to wait to click on commands in Total as it sits there "thinking" and it is slower than it has ever been. I feel like, in the year 2020, that my computer should be waiting for me, not me waiting for my computer. Are any of you having this problem with Total or did I just get lucky?

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
I bought a new computer a few months ago. It has an Intel(R) Xeon(R) 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz, 32 GB of RAM, and solid-state hard drive with a terabyte of storage. Everything on this computer is very fast except for Total. I called A La Mode about it and they said it was Windows 10/OneDrive. I called Microsoft and they helped me remove OneDrive. My Total is still slow. I constantly have to wait to click on commands in Total as it sits there "thinking" and it is slower than it has ever been. I feel like, in the year 2020, that my computer should be waiting for me, not me waiting for my computer. Are any of you having this problem with Total or did I just get lucky?
Are any of you having this problem with other appraisal software providers? I am going to change software companies as soon as I find a faster software. Thank you for the input.

Renee Healion

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Are you syncing appraisal files some other way than OneDrive, like Dropbox? (Carbonite, maybe even Vault?) That can take a while in the beginning, though you did say "a few months".
If only MS helped you, can one of their updates act on its own to reinstall OneDrive? If ALM did not do anything, that path may still be set up for that destination.

Purely a guess since I usually have to figure out things myself before anyone helps, particularly if they can claim some other hardware is at fault.
Sounds like a nice system (other than this trouble)!

Mejappz

Professional Status
State
Florida
I haven’t used Total since back in the Athena days so I don’t have any experience with their latest software. If speed is a concern of all the software, I’ve tested ClickFORMS is the fastest. I also have Homeputer and find it to fast as well. It’s not as robust as CF but I like it. Simple, gets the job done and no bugs.

Instead of syncing your files try a flash drive instead. I use One Drive and I don’t find that it has slowed my software down. And I doubt with the system you’ve described it would slow it down.

graindart

Professional Status
State
Montana
I agree that Total appears way slower than I think it should be. I've got a fast i7, 32gb ram, fastest ssd pcie cards, way overpowered graphics card, and very little bloatware on my computer. Other programs fly on it including heavy video editing / rendering. Total? I have to make sure my mouse cursor isn't in the text addendum window, otherwise the letters won't keep up with my typing speed (pauses every 10 to 20 characters for a second or two). I don't have OneDrive or any other backup / syncing software running during the work day. I don't have any of the Total syncing stuff.

I don't have any suggestions for you, just thought I'd let you know it probably not your hardware or other Windows software that's slowing Total down.

Overimprovement

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
Have you tried turning off any firewalls/anti-virus programs? Total has a history of sometimes bogging down if their folders are not added to the protected lists of these things.

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I agree that Total appears way slower than I think it should be. I've got a fast i7, 32gb ram, fastest ssd pcie cards, way overpowered graphics card, and very little bloatware on my computer. Other programs fly on it including heavy video editing / rendering. Total? I have to make sure my mouse cursor isn't in the text addendum window, otherwise the letters won't keep up with my typing speed (pauses every 10 to 20 characters for a second or two). I don't have OneDrive or any other backup / syncing software running during the work day. I don't have any of the Total syncing stuff.

I don't have any suggestions for you, just thought I'd let you know it probably not your hardware or other Windows software that's slowing Total down.
Me too. And I'm not a fast typist.

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
Are you syncing appraisal files some other way than OneDrive, like Dropbox? (Carbonite, maybe even Vault?) That can take a while in the beginning, though you did say "a few months".
If only MS helped you, can one of their updates act on its own to reinstall OneDrive? If ALM did not do anything, that path may still be set up for that destination.

Purely a guess since I usually have to figure out things myself before anyone helps, particularly if they can claim some other hardware is at fault.
Sounds like a nice system (other than this trouble)!
I don't think OneDrive reinstalled, but will check.

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
I haven’t used Total since back in the Athena days so I don’t have any experience with their latest software. If speed is a concern of all the software, I’ve tested ClickFORMS is the fastest. I also have Homeputer and find it to fast as well. It’s not as robust as CF but I like it. Simple, gets the job done and no bugs.

Instead of syncing your files try a flash drive instead. I use One Drive and I don’t find that it has slowed my software down. And I doubt with the system you’ve described it would slow it down.
Thank you for the feedback. I'm going to try ClickFORMS and ACI.

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks