• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

A La Mode Total

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
I just bought a similar top of the line desktop w similar specs and 2 27” monitors. Switching from Windows 7 and Aurora to Windows 10 and total was quite simple and zippy...
I wish I had your experience. Glad your zipping along.

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
No issues with Total/W10 either and I'm running it in a virtual machine so it should be slower.

I would almost guarantee you have some background process running that's killing performance. Tracking it down may be the toughest part.

Also if you're running W10 there's no real need for antivirus software. Most do more harm than good.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
It is possible you bought a lemon computer. I had one built one time and it was one problem after another especially with Total back then.

Samiam

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Oklahoma
No issues with Total/W10 either and I'm running it in a virtual machine so it should be slower.

I would almost guarantee you have some background process running that's killing performance. Tracking it down may be the toughest part.

Also if you're running W10 there's no real need for antivirus software. Most do more harm than good.
You don't have any problems with delayed typing, buttons freezing up while the software thinks, etc? I am constantly waiting on this software. It's so bad that I'm going to change software companies, and I love Total if it would move faster than my grandma.

Tom D

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
it may be the software conflicting with another program, or corrupted files. the reason it's slow is a conflict, which on your own, you will never find. could be a driver conflict, or just some windows file that is accesses. i can't explain it, but if you spend less that $100 on a repair program it may/probable correct the problem. i bought a $650 i7 and total flies on it. then once it slowed to a crawl. i am a computer tinkerer, but the cause is a needle in the hay stack to find. there are several programs to buy which will maximize & correct most problems. problems can occur any time windows is updated, or any program program is updated. computer programs can easily become corrupted.
go to these web sites in order. try the 1st one to see if it helps. i have been tinkering with computers since they came out, commode 64. you don't sound like a tinkerer, so use one of these:
1. reimage pc scan & repair
2. advanced system repair, get the 'premium' edition

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
You don't have any problems with delayed typing, buttons freezing up while the software thinks, etc?
No not at all and with your PC specs you shouldn't either.

Have you considered doing a fresh install of Total?

Overimprovement

Professional Status
State
Kentucky
Have you kept pestering ALM tech support? I have found that they do tend to work hard to find solutions. They cannot afford to lose appraisers. Keep on them, and let them know you will be forced to switch software if its not resolved. Not a threat, just the truth.

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
You don't have any problems with delayed typing, buttons freezing up while the software thinks, etc? I am constantly waiting on this software. It's so bad that I'm going to change software companies, and I love Total if it would move faster than my grandma.
Something is wrong on your computer. I would call support too. They can remotely sign in to your computer and look at what is going on. You pay them for support. Use it. I assume you pay them. You may not. Call them. They will remotely sign in your computer and you can watch what they do while they are doing it. 1-800-alamode. They have different support plans. They have 24 hour support plans and like normal business hours plans. They are there 24 hours though. They have different levels of technicians. So, depending on how bad your problem is, they may have to get a senior level tech to call you back and help you.

Last edited:

Eli

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
I started thinking more about it. You may have a hardware problem. It may not be a software problem. They can help you there maybe based on things your computer tells them. Call them.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks