• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

A LA MODE

Status
Not open for further replies.

T. D. Neathery

Freshman Member
I have been using United Systems since it was in DOS, now the nice guys at WinTotal are offering me a really good deal on theirs. Any comments from those using one or the other?????????
TN

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Well it's got to be better than the old HighPerForm in DOS. :lol:
I used to use that. Have been on ACI for about 3 years. I think it has a similar set of features as the new WinTotal, although I've only messed around with a demo of WinTotal a bit. ACI has plenty of features I don't use, at least not at this time. It generally works pretty well, with a few little bugs and irritations as usual. You can download a free demo of WinTotal if you didn't already. Also try searching this forum, there's been discussion of both programs. :wink:

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Ask them if it runs on Windows ME.
ed

Neil (Texas)

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I found alamode's Win2000 to be the best appraisal software on the market.

Will it run on Windows ME? YES. Used it successfully on a WinME platform for over a year.

Neil (Texas)

George W Dodd

Professional Status
State
Virginia
I've been using total for about 3 months now after being a day1 user for over 10 yrs.

Wintotal is the best appraisal software. Very short learning curve. Software has more features than I will probably use.

EDWARD BERRY

Professional Status
State
Arkansas
Neil,

I thought someone must have used it on WME, because that was the latest OS last year, that what came on my new computer.

SO, I just ordered WINTOATL, started to install it and tech said it would not work.

I TOOK his word for it and bought another software package.

Thanks for you info. ed

dbiggers

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Florida
Ed, what our tech should have told you is that we don't recommend ME with WinTOTAL, not that it won't run at all. We found many cases where ME was simply unreliable as an OS, having nothing to do with WinTOTAL at all. One indication that we were right is how quickly even Microsoft backed off on promoting it.

ME will run WinTOTAL, but it was the only Windows OS on which we gave a thumbs down recommendation. It was our opinion that the simple upgrade to XP would save a user a lot of aggravation for very little cost.

Dave Biggers
CEO
a la mode, inc.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
You just saw the reason I believe Alamode software is the best. DBiggers is the president of the company.

I teach the registered appraisers course for Jones Real Estate College here in Colorado Springs and I recommend Alamode to all my students. It is the most comprehensive program available and it outsells everyone else combined.

Bill_FL

Professional Status
State
Florida
I think Ala Mode has a decent product. I think for most offices it will do most of the things anyone will need. I like the way it handles receivables, makes maps (if you have something other than dial up). Does basic form filling pretty good.

I think the best is probably Appraiser's Toolbox. IT has many features that most dont. Complete neighborhood databases, auto-adjustments, all forms are on one page, you just scroll through them. I can type and compelte an appraisal in Tool Box in about one third of the time on Tool Box as I can on Ala Mode.

There are trade offs though, as I said, Ala Modes office management software is second to none and this is a pretty big deal for many office. I have made suggestions to them about the neighborhood databases, adjusting, a better comp database. I was told when Athena came out it would do all of this. I was then told, after I got my copy, that speed to market was more important that the additional features.

I think that if they can get a few more features for actually compelteing the appraisal, it will be the best performing software, not just the best selling.

dbiggers

Professional Status
IT Professional-Appraisal Related
State
Florida
Bill, we are indeed revamping the comps database. We're adding what we call a "comps dashboard" into the forms view (where you can see the thumbnail of the comp as well as basic stats while you're in the grid, etc.), as well as a completely new comps database front end. It's been a big topic on our beta users forum.

As for the auto adjustments, we did indeed add that into Athena, so I don't know who told you we somehow cut it to get it out quickly. The Worksheet Powerview is linked to any number of fields on the form, and is most often used in conjuction with the comps grid for auto calcs. It does far, far more than the simple Toolbox adjuster. In fact, it's funny that on the Toolbox forum on Yahoo, they're asking for Bradford to add a full-blown built in spreadsheet like we have instead of the limited adjuster.

As for the neighborhood database, that's something I think we handle well already due to the flexibility of our Text Database (it can start in any field and fill in a whole range in one step, so thousands of our users do indeed use it as an instant neighborhood database with no limitations). However, we have been talking about a cool geocoded approach too -- since our net.X servers provide latitude and longitude to WinTOTAL automatically, we can automatically detect whether there are old reports within some user-defined distance from your current report and allow you to immediately suck the neighborhood in from any one of them. For example, it could tell you that there are four old reports within 500 feet of the current subject, and instantly pull in the data from any one of them you choose. That way there's no need for even remembering to create a neighborhood database. But that's just a thought. What's your opinion?

Finally, on the forms, we did add the ability to scroll vertically through the forms (top to bottom, in "toilet paper roll" fashion). It's in testing while we work out some bugs. Even that being said, we did from the very beginning change Athena so that all of the forms are loaded at once, which dramatically speeds up scrolling. You don't have to wait while it loads each form as you scroll around like you did in Olympus.

Anyway, just thought I'd explain where we are on the things you requested. Thanks for the office management comments.

Dave Biggers
CEO
a la mode, inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks