• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A 'legal' Bedroom In Stafford, VA Need Not Have A Closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
first im hearing of this, lol. all you need is 2 forms of in/egress, a smoke detector and something else menial (door i think) i forgot about. my whole life has been a bedroom needs a closet. you build a 5 bedroom home on a lot with a 3 bedroom perc just take out 2 closets and youre golden was the trick for many years. weird.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I think it is generally accepted that a bedroom needs at least one interior and one exterior egress. This is why there are rarely bedrooms in the middle of a house surrounded by other rooms (although a light well could afford egress in an urban area).
Closets may or may not be required by the "market". A room with no closet may have some functional obsolescence (but an Amoire could be had for $500 at many furniture stores).
I agree with you that if the septic system is rated for 2-bedrooms, I would classify the house as a 2-bedroom house regardless of what other rooms they may have.

A bedroom is many times an element of comparison.
Adjustments to elements of comparison are based on the market reaction.
A room that isn't a bedroom may have similar utility to one in a particular market.
So, sometimes, such differences warrant an adjustment and sometimes they don't.
Classifying the room count accurately is one thing and adjusting for the market-based reactions for any differences are another.

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Pennsylvania
I looked at a really nice home recently, a real classy place (70's era).

No closets in any of the bedrooms. The master, no closet, had a personal hall down to the bath, wic (his) and boudoir (hers).

The two of each of the four bedrooms (no closets) shared a private hall with a J&J bath and two closets.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
According to some appraisers I have appraised a bunch of homes with no bedrooms even though I was pretty convinced they had 3 or 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks