• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A rant.By me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I have been chewing on some phrases that have been circulating outside of our ranks, and are now circulating inside out ranks...and I think we have a fundamental problem that we aren't focusing on...

We keep referring to dishonest APPRAISERS as if being an appraiser is part of what makes a person dishonest.

There are plenty of well respected professions in this world. And in each of them there are plenty of crooked practitioners.

There are plenty of crooked CPA's Judges, Cops, Physicians, Psychiatrists, pharmacists, preachers, priests, etc etc..

The list goes on and on.

Many people are saying things like: Are you saying that in order for appraisers to not cave to pressure, we have to remove all the pressure? Are appraisers just that weak?

It is rhetorical in nature, but it is asked often here. We need to stop associating the term crooked and the term appraiser. Just call them what they are, a crook, a deadbeat, a low life, whatever. Calling them appraisers in this current climate is helping to further the idea that all appraisers are crooked.

Are all car salesman crooked? I know better, but if you want to call someone crooked(even here!!) we say they were probably car salesman in a past life. Do we want our name to be synonomous with theirs?

We need to curb our tolerance and understanding for those who have pimped themselves out in order to make money and taint our profession.

Now, I am not advocating that we shoot our wounded, but we can't abide it.

Not so much here, but some of us need to sever our ties with those that are playing it too fast in loose in our town. We may need to stop doing business with some clients who only call us when they want to buy something, but call the other guy when they want it to sell.

Our profession is full of people. There are just so many crooked people no matter where you look. We will fall prey to dishonesty no matter how hard it is to break the law.

But, we don't need to keep providing the block at which our weaker brothers stumble. And when people do stumble, they need our sympathy, and our education, but not our lenience. We need to be critical of failure, not approving of it. When someone posts a document showing how horrible your board is doing, don't attack their character. Too bad. If that is your buddy down there playing the fiddle while 2 million people lose their home and credit, shame on him, and shame on you for supporting him. Get a new buddy.

Now, I know many of the posters here walk the walk for what they talk. It is clear from many other posters that they haven't even learned how to talk the talk hardly.

Don't treat the forum the way so many treat church...they get all this wonderful instruction, get encouraged, and challenged, put thier pittance in the plate, and go home and forget it all...until next Sunday.

This is a post to challenge all you guys on here pretending that you are holding it up out there, but when you get cornered, you cave.

I for one, am not tolerating it any more. I am about to make it really hard for you to get along in my town. I am talking to your clients, I am naming names, and I have your report in my hand when I do it. And don't warn me about liablility anymore, there won't even be a profession left for me to get kicked out of before long. Skippy won't sue, he doesn't want to withstand discovery.

Skip,

You're on notice.

To those of you who refuse to cave everyday, I salute you. God bless.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
LR,
I think there is just such an over-supply of appraisers that
it is not unlike any market with an over-supply, there is a
race to the bottom on fees, comp checks, accomodating the
MBs and AMCs.

I use to be in a market with 5 other appraisers, now there are
30 appraisers who you can call, I'm sure 15 of the 30 will do a
comp check, and 10 will pretty much adopt your SOW as their
SOW regardless of the consequences. I don't expect the state
board to get rid of 50% of them based on USPAP.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
LR,
I think there is just such an over-supply of appraisers that
it is not unlike any market with an over-supply, there is a
race to the bottom on fees, comp checks, accomodating the
MBs and AMCs.

I use to be in a market with 5 other appraisers, now there are
30 appraisers who you can call, I'm sure 15 of the 30 will do a
comp check, and 10 will pretty much adopt your SOW as their
SOW regardless of the consequences. I don't expect the state
board to get rid of 50% of them based on USPAP.

Ok, then let's just all tolerate it. That'll fix things.

Joker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Ohio
You are coming around to my way of thinking. Congratulations!

JonGalt

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
I'm doing an appraisal on a rehab property that sold for 400K-9 months ago after 160 days on market. Very nice home, well done rehab. When I arrive for the inspection I am shown an appraisal done 3 months ago with a market value of 520K.:Eyecrazy: I ask the borrower to send a copy to my email so I can look it over and he does. The report is a great piece of fiction. Lot sizes of comps double with no adjustments, living areas 60% to 80% larger. Meanwhile model matches are ignored and not included as well as active listings for 420-450K. Ovrsupply not checked and the list goes on and on.

I'm still always amazed when I recieve copies of appraisals that are this bad and blatantly were produced to hit a value. I'm going to finish my assignment and send it in to my biggest client. I'm ready for the flack I'll receive now from both the borrower and the client for a quality appraisal that will be at least 25% lower than the fiction produced a couple months ago. This guy is from my area and his PDF is going to be sent in to the state. I'm sick of this and we all need to do our part to take down these skippy's who steal our business and give us a bad name by commiting fraud.

Have a great day!

Pine Tree

Professional Status
State
Maine
This is a matter of personal ethics and character..

if these are missing, can they be taught?

Should the educational requirements include an ethics course? Should USPAP classes be expanded to more hours to include greater substance on simple ethics?

Ideas?

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It is not possible for any USPAP instructor to change someone's character. A 7 or 15 hour USPAP class is no match for 25-35-45 or more years of life experience that has created a dishonest or unethical person.

People can change, reform, see the light wahatever...but it takes a higher power than an instructor to help them.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Pine,

You can only "teach" ethics to people under the age of 12. By then, they have their world view. After that, all you can do is teach them how other people view the world. They just won't agree with you.

Here is a great one....

I just did one on a 2500ft house in the country club part of town. Very prestigious area. Checked all MLS sales for the last 3 yrs. Not one house smaller than 3000ft sold for more than 325K. In 2005 when they bought it, it was purchased for 355K. Not one single comp in the s/d sold over 300K that year...I just sent in my report at 291, with 4 listings all from 289 to 295, and an 8 month supply on the market currently.

Agent has house listed at 389K, a cool 100K above all market indicators. She is our Senator's wife(US senator), and everyone has told me my phone will be ringing off the hook today.

You can bet your sweet bippy I will be asking to see the appraisal that they will undoubtedly refer to a hundred times today.

Happy birthday to me. Yip yip yippee.

I'm-A-Survivor

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I for one, am not tolerating it any more. I am about to make it really hard for you to get along in my town. I am talking to your clients, I am naming names, and I have your report in my hand when I do it. And don't warn me about liablility anymore, there won't even be a profession left for me to get kicked out of before long. Skippy won't sue, he doesn't want to withstand discovery.

Skip,

You're on notice.

Thank you Larry! And, it's true that there are too many appraisers in several markets. The good news is: more and more each day are refusing to "play ball" with the MB's and LO's. When it gets to a point where there are not enough skippies in the major markets to perpetuate their activities, due to either blacklisting or board discipline, the predatory lenders are going to run out of options. They are bullies/spoiled babies, plain and simple and need to be spanked!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks