• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A Salute to Miller

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
USA Today;
Miller served as a ship's cook at the time, Modly said, and showed initiative, professionalism and commitment during the attack. He died two years later aboard the USS Liscome Bay, when the ship was hit by a torpedo and sank off Butaritari Atoll, according to the Navy.

The future Gerald R. Ford-class carrier named after him will be deployed in major combat operations, crisis response and humanitarian relief, the Navy said in a statement. One other ship bears Miller's name: the USS Miller (FF-1091), a Knox-class frigate.

Along with the Navy Cross, Miller has been awarded the Purple Heart Medal; the American Defense Service Medal, Fleet Clasp; the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal; and the World War II Victory Medal.

“In selecting this name, we honor the contributions of all our enlisted ranks, past and present, men and women, of every race, religion and background,” Modly said in a statement. “Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. observed, ‘Everybody can be great — because anybody can serve’. No one understands the importance and true meaning of service than those who have volunteered to put the needs of others above themselves.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.”

~ John F. Kennedy

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
A friend of mine suffers from PTSS, mused one time that he wanted to avoid infantry combat so he joined the Navy figuring it would be safer. He ended up on a rubber boat running up and down the Mekong River manning a twin machine gun. I never asked him what caused the PTSS, but he told a fellow soldier (an Army man who also suffered from PTSS and Agent Orange too) simply, "I killed a lot of people." We buried the Army man a few weeks ago,_his casket delivered in an old Army truck...and one of the pall bearers was the Navy man... 20191229_Baders funeral (Medium).JPG

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks