• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

A Sketchy Existence It Surely Be

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
My faith in the potential of mankind to endure despite the enormity of the challenges ahead has been forever damaged by the steep learning curve I am experiencing with the ACI default sketch program. Thirty minutes to meet deadline for a critical career-enhancing assignment . . . and I can't figure out how to re-open a closed area!!!!!! But by now it really doesn't matter because I'm sure the neighbors have called SWAT in response to the curses and screams heard a block away from my home office.

What a long, strange trip the entire appraisal experience has been, including 70,000 miles on the odometer one year trying to gain experience hours as quickly as possible, multiple trips each week through disparate voyages such as Bakersfield to Twenty-Nine Palms to Long Beach; walking local assignments from comp to comp for lack of enough enough gas money; getting a $10 trip fee added to my share of the split when I mistakenly indicated that the subject was located in "India" rather than "Indio". Being named the front man responsible to open a remote office in Arizona, highlighted on a Saturday when I conducted an early morning assignment in Glendale, AZ, which was followed by an afternoon assignment, in Glendale, CA. Realizing that comp 1 and comp 4 of an appraisal report required so few adjustments . . . because both were the subject, itself. Driving 2.5 hours to arrive two minutes late for an assignment; introducing myself to the home owner at the front door, running back to the car for my tools, getting confused and winding up in the kitchen of THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR, where the very pretty blonde home owner decided at the last minute not to shoot me dead as an intruder. Complaining to the Senior Planner at the Hemet City Hall because the nice lady at the counter was so dumb that she thought she was working in the City of Hemet although I was certain that I was in the San Jacinto City Hall. Following up on having lost EVERYTHING when the Net bubble burst in 2001 to losing EVERYTHING subsequently gained by buying large into the property run-up circa 2007--there being some notoriety, it is presumed, in being personally responsible for the collapse of multiple markets. Stuck in the mud in Adalanto. Stuck in a Taft 4-plex by home boys who convinced my 25-somthing female apprentice to return to college rather than to become an appraiser. Stuck in a 2nd floor bedroom in Moreno Valley by a HUGE lady convinced I was poe-poe (sp?) or else why would I have measured the first floor from the outside but the second floor from the inside. Stuck in rush hour traffic in Long Beach--reversing the process by looking for addresses first, in a futile search for SFR's that front busy L.B. Boulevard. Stuck with a ripped cloth tape measure that I rigged back up and that consequently required 8 - 10 inches to be subtracted from every dimension--farewell to another trainee. Stuck on stupid when my mentor advised that I couldn't define every assignment as "complex" because I was too dumb to understand what I was doing. Stuck forever on the perpetual calendar for having missed "Life" as it is commonly known for having worked 7 days a week for 6 years trying to establish a foothold in this incredibly complex industry that fails to establish standards to address commonplace issues such as non-permitted additions, without the existence of precedent-setting reports; stuck in time pretending to measure the exterior dimensions of a SFR in the early morning fog too hung over to have remembered to bring my tape. Stuck . . . just getting warmed up but I gotta go because SWAT just pulled up, and I recognize the captain because his refi failed when my appraisal of his property was way too low...

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
i gave up on that a long time ago. i just delete the whole thing and start over. most of the time i remember to print what didn't work so i can get it to work on the next try.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
My faith in the potential of mankind to endure despite the enormity of the challenges ahead has been forever damaged
We feel your pain...which is why I bought a separate copy of Winsketch many moons ago and amazingly it works through every iteration of Windows. It's not a great program but it is simple, rarely fails or locks up, and I have no learning curve.

sylphie

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
My faith in the potential of mankind to endure despite the enormity of the challenges ahead has been forever damaged by the steep learning curve I am experiencing with the ACI default sketch program. Thirty minutes to meet deadline for a critical career-enhancing assignment . . . and I can't figure out how to re-open a closed area!!!!!! But by now it really doesn't matter because I'm sure the neighbors have called SWAT in response to the curses and screams heard a block away from my home office.

What a long, strange trip the entire appraisal experience has been, including 70,000 miles on the odometer one year trying to gain experience hours as quickly as possible, multiple trips each week through disparate voyages such as Bakersfield to Twenty-Nine Palms to Long Beach; walking local assignments from comp to comp for lack of enough enough gas money; getting a $10 trip fee added to my share of the split when I mistakenly indicated that the subject was located in "India" rather than "Indio". Being named the front man responsible to open a remote office in Arizona, highlighted on a Saturday when I conducted an early morning assignment in Glendale, AZ, which was followed by an afternoon assignment, in Glendale, CA. Realizing that comp 1 and comp 4 of an appraisal report required so few adjustments . . . because both were the subject, itself. Driving 2.5 hours to arrive two minutes late for an assignment; introducing myself to the home owner at the front door, running back to the car for my tools, getting confused and winding up in the kitchen of THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR, where the very pretty blonde home owner decided at the last minute not to shoot me dead as an intruder. Complaining to the Senior Planner at the Hemet City Hall because the nice lady at the counter was so dumb that she thought she was working in the City of Hemet although I was certain that I was in the San Jacinto City Hall. Following up on having lost EVERYTHING when the Net bubble burst in 2001 to losing EVERYTHING subsequently gained by buying large into the property run-up circa 2007--there being some notoriety, it is presumed, in being personally responsible for the collapse of multiple markets. Stuck in the mud in Adalanto. Stuck in a Taft 4-plex by home boys who convinced my 25-somthing female apprentice to return to college rather than to become an appraiser. Stuck in a 2nd floor bedroom in Moreno Valley by a HUGE lady convinced I was poe-poe (sp?) or else why would I have measured the first floor from the outside but the second floor from the inside. Stuck in rush hour traffic in Long Beach--reversing the process by looking for addresses first, in a futile search for SFR's that front busy L.B. Boulevard. Stuck with a ripped cloth tape measure that I rigged back up and that consequently required 8 - 10 inches to be subtracted from every dimension--farewell to another trainee. Stuck on stupid when my mentor advised that I couldn't define every assignment as "complex" because I was too dumb to understand what I was doing. Stuck forever on the perpetual calendar for having missed "Life" as it is commonly known for having worked 7 days a week for 6 years trying to establish a foothold in this incredibly complex industry that fails to establish standards to address commonplace issues such as non-permitted additions, without the existence of precedent-setting reports; stuck in time pretending to measure the exterior dimensions of a SFR in the early morning fog too hung over to have remembered to bring my tape. Stuck . . . just getting warmed up but I gotta go because SWAT just pulled up, and I recognize the captain because his refi failed when my appraisal of his property was way too low...

tried to 'conform' to ACI sketch----u$ing APEX again after unsuccessful learning curve

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I used a free version alamode had on the tough ones when I used to use ACI.
Don't know if they still have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks