• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

"A"typical house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris White

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
I have a modified "A" Frame house in the middle of nowhere on 4 acres. This is not typical in my market, in fact, other than lake properties, I know of only a handful in the entire region. I spoke to FHA staff appraisers and they said to use whatever is close and similar in GLA. So I did. I have been stipped for similar design comps. Should I use some contempary style homes or tell them there are not any at all, what u see is what u get?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Use a lake property with a 'A' frame, and explain/adjust.

Chris White

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Ya I thought about that, but the only one I found was 30+ miles away, 700 SqFt larger and lake front. It sold for $200,000 more than the subject. (sale price is $100K)

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I suspect your area is like mine, so yes contemporaries or other "atypical" designs. You also might need to go back a few years to find other A frames or atypicals and use them to help illustrate the market reaction to an atypical design versus run of the mill designs.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Try a manufactured home or a log house.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Extending time and distance you will eventually find something for most houses. I did see one on TV the other day where it may not be true, a converted missile silo, but I'm sure it's true for your 'A' frame.

Doug Wegener

Professional Status
State
Oregon
Greg is right. Use anything in the weirdo sub-market:

LOG,A-Frame, Dome, or any stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks