• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

A VA Appraisal Report Request From An Underwriter. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Brit in California

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I received an email from an underwriter and it reads:

"Please add the verbiage: I have considered all available comps…. as required for appraiser certification."

For all the years I have been completing VA appraisal reports I have included the verbiage word for word from the VA handbook:

" I have considered relevant competitive listings & contract offerings in performing this appraisal and any trend indicated by that data is supported by the listing/offering information included in this report."

Does anyone have any constructive opinions on the verbiage this SAR wants me to add to the appraisal report?

Thank you.

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Opinions yes,
constructive, maybe not, other than advise the UW of the exact verbiage in the handbook, and what they suggest to use is misleading as no comparables are required for appraiser certification. Plus it's really hard to find three appraisers that look alike and live within 3 miles of each other.

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona

"Please add the verbiage: I have considered all available comps…. as required for appraiser certification."

Thank you.

They want you to add that exact sentence with the little dots in the middle? or is their more in the middle? I'd say, as is, it doesn't even make sense. We don't consider comps to get certified. That sentence says i considered all available comps in order to get my license. I would politely ask them to show me where they found that requirement.

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
They want you to add that exact sentence with the little dots in the middle? or is their more in the middle? I'd say, as is, it doesn't even make sense. We don't consider comps to get certified. That sentence says i considered all available comps in order to get my license. I would politely ask them to show me where they found that requirement.
Good question. I copy and pasted the email they sent word for word.....including the little dots. I left nothing out.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia

For all the years I have been completing VA appraisal reports I have included the verbiage word for word from the VA handbook:

" I have considered relevant competitive listings & contract offerings in performing this appraisal and any trend indicated by that data is supported by the listing/offering information included in this report."

Does anyone have any constructive opinions on the verbiage this SAR wants me to add to the appraisal report?

Thank you.

Use what the handbook says to use. No one, nooSAR or anyone else can state how many "vailale comps" there are. Your verbage and the handbook is correct.

It's your report, not theirs.

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
I was just advised "It is unethical for an underwriter to request the addition of such verbiage to an appraisal report".

Unethical is a strong word. As Don Clark stated in this thread.... it is my report, not theirs. We as appraisers are directed by USPAP Guidelines. We have requirements from the VA.

The underwriter should not be telling us what wording to utilize in our appraisal reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks