• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Aba Supports Proposal To Increase Cre Appraisal Threshold

Status
Not open for further replies.

RebelNYC

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
District of Columbia
All the more reason we need more members of the Appraisal Institute, so we can force a merger with NAR and put an end to this madness. We need real political lobbying power, like yesterday.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I think there is opportunity for the AI (and other appraisal organizations) to work more closely with the NAR. I'm pushing that on a more local (state) level.

leasedfee

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I think there is opportunity for the AI (and other appraisal organizations) to work more closely with the NAR. I'm pushing that on a more local (state) level.
I'd love to see more advertising/promotion of AI's courses to the brokerage community. They need CE hours/training. But I have never seen such an ad before.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
The reason the two were separated in the first place was to provide distance between Realtors and Appraisers.

Well with Corelogic having it's fingers in every opening available, something competitive would appear to be a welcome event; the AI - NAR split was 30+ years ago, and should be revisited. Perhaps All appraiser Organizations should combine forces to actually have a Voice.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
something competitive would appear to be a welcome event; the AI - NAR split was 30+ years ago, and should be revisited.
Ideally, perhaps, but the NAR would dominate AI. They have 20 members to every AI member plus, and the NAR is a trade association whose function is to promote the interests of their members - mainly sell real estate.

As for Corelogic, I cannot understand how the SEC has not raised an eyebrow yet. So we are now in a pick and choose legal system where if one has enough stroke, you are not subject to the law. So the LA board is pummeled by the FTC but they and the SEC have no problem with a Corelogic that monopolizes the space and controls prices.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Connecticut
Ideally, perhaps, but the NAR would dominate AI. They have 20 members to every AI member plus, and the NAR is a trade association whose function is to promote the interests of their members - mainly sell real estate.

As for Corelogic, I cannot understand how the SEC has not raised an eyebrow yet. So we are now in a pick and choose legal system where if one has enough stroke, you are not subject to the law. So the LA board is pummeled by the FTC but they and the SEC have no problem with a Corelogic that monopolizes the space and controls prices.

BINGO

leasedfee

Professional Status
State
Colorado
the AI - NAR split was 30+ years ago, and should be revisited.

“It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” ~ Upton Sinclair

. . . I was a Hearing Officer for property tax appeals this week, and the landlady book-ended by her two brokers handed me a bank appraisal, and she quipped, "I only showed the appraiser the good units." Now suddenly for ad valorem her property is worn down and inferior. I knew this appraiser and that the appraiser was (historically) a skippy and was likely to skew upward in the bank's favor. Thus, it'd be appropriate evidence for an ad valorem value adjustment. Of course the broker gave me some rundown worn out comps when ironically his brokerage firm is super-aggressive on listing prices. But that's his job. Advocate. The broker was also very charming person, which is a great skill for an advocate and salesman. We appraisers and USPAP have a hard enough time keeping appraisers in-line from bias.

RebelNYC

Professional Status
State
District of Columbia
The reason the two were separated in the first place was to provide distance between Realtors and Appraisers.

Thank you for that historical lesson. Obviously, that separation has done nothing to either preserve the public trust or improve the quality of our profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks