• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Absurd Appointment Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the many years I should have written down all the absurd requests I get for off the wall appointment times.....Today, a mortgage broker calls (mind you he's been in the re brokerage and mortgage business for 30 years). He says: "I have rush for you" (so what's new I think). He continues: "She (the property owner) can only let you in the house at
6:30 AM during the week and on Saturday at 6PM" (I'm thinking this must be some kind of joke). The problem is no he's serious ! I tell him that's
absurd ! He says: "You need to be more flexible" At this point, I simply tell him that there is 40 hours during the week, pick one-half hour out of the forty, which is 80 choices for an appointment time. He says: "I'm calling somebody else". I wonder how many appraisers he'll call. Is there somebody out there that does inspections at these times ?

Pine Tree

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maine
Well, I do early morning apts all summer long.. Particularly the last few years during this intense refi market.. BUT I charge more.

I started this policy when I continually got the "well, I work during the day" ( what am I doing? ) and then there was all the kid schedule nonesense ( theirs, not mine :) ) So, Yes I will do early morning, and Saturdays, however, it will be an early morning or a Saturday of my cholce which may or may not be in the near future and Oh, BTW will cost more... This generally causes a little gasp on the other end of the phone, but it puts it back in their court.. :wink:
Wendy

Paul in bama

Freshman Member
That's a good one alright. There is one company out there, I'm sure everyone has head dealing with them at one time or another, they like to send you an order with an appointment time already set. The first time they did this I told them thanks, but I will set my own appointments. They told me to disregard the appointment times they put on the orders they send. So I did. I got one later with an appointment time of 6 p.m. That wouldn't be so bad except the property was an hour away.

John M. Parker

Freshman Member
We work 8:30 to 5:00 Monday through Friday and perform all - All :!: our inspections on Weds. and Fridays. There are two of us each with an assistant. If and only if one of my good clients needs a Saturday due to weekend home or cabin I will do it for them, this is rare.

We figure it this way, you need the money you show for the appointment.

We do 12 to 15 a week and this is not a problem 99% of the time and it frees us to do what we need to do in the office. People that can drop everything and jump through hoops, don't have any work and are they the type of person the average lender wants to perform an appraisal for them.

P.S.

I forgot to mention some of the real duzzies over the years (these are so weird you couldn't make them up, they are real requests I've had):

"come on 4th of July, just before we start our B-B-Q"

"come on Sunday, before we leave for church"

"I've had a standing appointment with my hair dresser on Wednesdays
for 30 years, and I'm not breaking it for anyone !"

"I own a restaurant and leave for work at 4AM" (implication that I should get there before he leaves ?)

"What the hell are you talking about ?!, I've 85 years old and have bought and sold houses my entire life, I've never heard of such a thing !"
etc..etc.

jtrotta

Joe

your close by, but we can't access a town hall until after 9AM in most area's, so my question is what do you do with that unuseable time :?: same with late day appts. and Saturdays-just mean another trip back, wasted time & money, on top of my loosing a weekend day of freedom.

thought about that years ago, and have run my business on a fairly steady schedule; anytime between 8am to 4:30 PM - other than that, we have a problem. They can have their parents; a friend; or whoever meet me there, but thats my work week hours - it's my job.

8)

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
If we are supposed to be independent, professional appraisers we should never allow the lender to control our appointment setting process. I will work with a borrower and will make odd appointment times sometimes, but only at my convenience. It is amazing how a little questioning will discover a time during the week day you can do the inspection. Or meet a relative, or the wife who is already ther all day, etc.

Wally Jones

Professional Status
State
Florida
"My corporate manager will only allow property inspections Monday thru Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m due to liablility considerations."

Translation: "My wife'll kill me if I miss breakfast, dinner or weekends with her!"

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks