• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Accessory Unit and GLA

Mejappz

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
I see your point Restrain and do agree it can definitely misrepresent what is actually there
A 3,600 sf home is not the same as a 2,700 sf home with 900 sf ADU
I run into this very often in my market

But...I agree with Tim on this though ...

Agents are in the business to sell houses and generally they can get more attn (IMO) with the larger square footage marketed

As an appraiser, though, it becomes a REAL PITA trying to decipher the GLA of a potential comparable. Is it 3,600 sf PLUS an ADU? OR ... 2,700 sf plus 900 sf ADU ...
This takes time, phone calls, digging, questioning ... and is why I charge more for SFR plus ADU's but that's my business decision
I’m currently working on one of these. The MLS sheet for one of my comp’s states: "Come and preview this 4 Bedroom and 2 Bathroom plus an in-law quarters Single Family Home. Actual square footage appears to be larger than Tax roll (public records)". So, MLS has it at 2,220 SF of living area. And the public records has it at 1,600.

The subject which I measured this afternoon has about 1,500 sq. ft of GLA and a 550 SF ADU. Public records though has the GLA at 2,062. So, they lumped everything in.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
This also happens a lot where I work. In one way, it angers me. OTOH, in an area with almost no data available for building characteristics, it's a good thing because it makes it easier to figure out the size of each structure.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I know all too well what you're dealing with Mejappz

I'm in St Pete. It really does come down to either digging through the comments and/or (most likely) picking up the phone to decipher what the GLA of these type of properties really are!
It takes looking at Public Records AND MLS and comparing them. It takes looking through the MLS photos and comparing MLS vs Public Record.

Did I mention calling the agent(s)? Because calling the agent(s) helps. If I didn't mention it, then here it is - call the agent(s)!!!

These properties aren't usually that "difficult" to appraise, but definitely DO take a LOT more time/research to appraise.
This is usually because you're not dealing with a "typical" 2,000 sf ranch ...

Mejappz

Professional Status
State
Florida
I know all too well what you're dealing with Mejappz

I'm in St Pete. It really does come down to either digging through the comments and/or (most likely) picking up the phone to decipher what the GLA of these type of properties really are!
It takes looking at Public Records AND MLS and comparing them. It takes looking through the MLS photos and comparing MLS vs Public Record.

Did I mention calling the agent(s)? Because calling the agent(s) helps. If I didn't mention it, then here it is - call the agent(s)!!!

These properties aren't usually that "difficult" to appraise, but definitely DO take a LOT more time/research to appraise.
This is usually because you're not dealing with a "typical" 2,000 sf ranch ...
I’m going to call the Realtor tomorrow. Though I have a pretty good idea what she’s going to say. To make matters worse the borrower did not tell me there was an ADU(even though I asked over the phone). So now I must redo all the comps. I did find another comp with a detached ADU. Realtor states it’s about 400 SF. Public records says nothing on the issue. Even though you can see it on the aerial view. ☹

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I’m currently working on one of these. The MLS sheet for one of my comp’s states: "Come and preview this 4 Bedroom and 2 Bathroom plus an in-law quarters Single Family Home. Actual square footage appears to be larger than Tax roll (public records)". So, MLS has it at 2,220 SF of living area. And the public records has it at 1,600.

The subject which I measured this afternoon has about 1,500 sq. ft of GLA and a 550 SF ADU. Public records though has the GLA at 2,062. So, they lumped everything in.
It stands to reason the tax office would tax for the maximum amount of living area. Again, I never see the term "GLA" on tax records, only "living area."

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
It stands to reason the tax office would tax for the maximum amount of living area. Again, I never see the term "GLA" on tax records, only "living area."
*deleted*

Sorry Tim, misread your quote

gregb

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
No worries, with these new data collectors taking the field, what's the difference? :)

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I think that's where it gets confusing

A 2,000 sf property that has an ADU may be getting taxed as a 2,000 sf property - the ADU is somehow included in that total sf

A similar property may have a 1,600 sf main dwelling with a 400 sf ADU (attached or detached)

And then there's the 2,000 sf main dwelling with ... wait for it ... a 400 sf ADU (attached or detached)

And depending on all sorts of things ... taxes, "heated area" (as our local MLS lists the GLA) and "total living sf" (County Property Appraiser records) ... the same "2,000 sf" can be very different here

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I pay little attention to MLS info, rely more on the assessor. I like Realist when they gave both the public record and MLS SF figures. Like a nice big fat red flag for you to decipher.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks