• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

ACI or WinTotal---Help me choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
South Carolina
Ok everyone-

I know this has been a topic of discussion for several threads. And I have read most of them, but still have questions.

I have been using ACI for 14 years. I has always gotten the job done. Yet, it has always been behind the curve compared to WinTotal and maybe others. I am pretty tech saavy, and hate to admit it, but I am getting a little older (39) and am very comfortable using ACI, and am not quite sure I want to change. I do however, want to save time, buy a tablet and become more mobile (I use a pocket pc now), etc...

WinTotal is a sweet looking program. I offers everything I have always wanted within ACI. It would take quite some time to learn everything it offers, and by the time I learned it all, I am sure there would be new advances in the software for me to learn. I am not sure if that's what I want. Again, I want a time saver. I have ACI tweeked out as best as can be done. I click on my neighborhood and a lot of my 1st page is filled out for me. I know WinTotal will do this also, plus a whole lot more.

Please help me make this decision. I get a little overwhelmed about the idea of re-creating all of my templates, learning new software, and running my business and have swept this idea under the rug for 2-3 years. Each time I look into it, I get a little closer to making the move. And being so slow right now, this would be the best time to change.

If you have any comments or have been in this dilemma, please chime in! Thanks in advance.

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
You are so right about now being the time to change, if you are going to do so. I have not touched WinTOTAL for more than a year, so I don't have current information on it. I think it has improved since I last used it, and it was better than ACI then, IMHO. I doubt ; however, you will save much time going with WinTOTAL. My biggest complaint about WinTOTAL is just how slow it ran.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Couch-

What do you use now?

Workbox

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I'm back with wintotal, after using and trying all others and after our legendary Aurora threads. While all others are and can be very robust, they lacked certain things or restrictions and did not have the foresight of what an appraiser wants and later to realize that they may be catering to another segment of the RE industry, But not only that, after I had more and more suspicions of what they might be doing with my data. I returned back. Not just because of that, but because they, it is segmented to be much more efficient.

I would not be scared of Alamode. And the way things are going, they may be the only real power house software for appraisers. Get the light version to start with.

TJSum

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I too use Clickforms, no complaints except for it to be cheaper, but that complaint goes with all of the software programs :)

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Ric,

Ask yourself, why do so many lenders and AMC's demand the use of ACI? There are some reasons this is so. If it does not matter to you that your software puts the lenders and AMC's before the appraisers, then stick with what you like. I use Aurora and have no problems with it.

BlueDog007

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
Alamode users.........tell me what happens to your data when you deliver a report to say.......LandSafe. I was told yesterday, by Alamode, that the Total report must go through Lighthouse (which is owned by ACI I believe), in order to be delivered to LandSafe. Why is this step necessary? What happens to your report and data by doing this step?

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Don't work for Landsafe, but they sell conversion modules for Lighthouse. Then you can convert it to the file they desire. If you deliver to LSI or eAppraiseIT you can deliver in pdf form. But I am told they unlock and convert the pdf themselves when they receive it with a third party software (I wonder who makes that?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks