• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

ACI Version 8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Doering

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
Anyone have any idea or communications from ACI regarding the planned release date for version 8.5? It is my understanding that this version is going to address some of the printing problems as well as compatibility and file access speed issues with Windows 2000.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Dave:

As an ACI beta tester I have been using a beta version of V8.5 since 10-31-02. I installed an undated beta verison last Tuesday, 12-31-02 but haven't done any appraisal work with it. I arm running V8.5 on WinMe without any problems of any kind.

I don't know the release date for the consumer version of V8.5 but I would think it will be fairly soon.

Stay tuned.

Dave Doering

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Missouri
Dave (Smith),
Have you encountered any problems with opening existing reports using 8.5? The reason that I ask is that in our locations where we are using Windows 2000, we are experiencing significant delays due to the security features in Windows 2000 scanning the contents of all files in the ACI/data file prior to opening the sellected file. This obviously takes a long time! Our systems using ACI 7.x on Windows 98 or lower does not have this problem as it apparently only looks at the file name without scanning the entire file. It seems that some of the problem relates to the use of .zoo files in the 8.x versions. The other problem (see my previous post on this forum) relates to the file size that is created when printing. In some cases the file size for a report will exceed 40 mg and subsequently take what seems like hours to spool and print. It is our understanding from ACI that this would be addressed in 8.5. Is this correct?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Dave (both :D )

I was going to call tech support to-day to ask (again) about release, since the last word I got was "soon".

I am particularly interesting in acquiring the newer better 2003 review form. Ti in myopinion beats the heck out of the old form.

I am also going to attempt to get someone to come down to FL for the Appraiser Forum get together in April.

Regards,
Lee Ann

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Lee Ann:

Honey, just hit the "zoo" file format with a wet noodle. :D

Actually, I am using the old "ACI" file format to avoid the slow loading and file size issues you asked about. I think I remember right that ACI is working on those issues but since I'm not using the "zoo" extension I can't speak to whether the problems have been addressed. I guess I'll have to try one in the "Zoo" format and see. what happens.

I just wish I didn't have to earn $$$ by doing some of the "way too many" appraisals sitting on my desk. Then I'd have more time to "play" with the software. :(

I'll post a note when I know more about "zoo" files.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Dave:

I convert to .zoo ONLY if I cannot get a form to go (or stay stable) in .ACI.

The REO addendum is the worst offender :evil: , or REO's with many many pictures can get dicey also 8O .

Anyway turn off the lghts on .zoo until you need 'em and things stay happy! :p

Still wondering if anyone wants to show up an get edumecated! I learned a great deal by attending the last class, worth every dime.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Lee Ann:

What specific addendum is the "REO" addendum. I never do REO's so don't know which form may be your unstable one. I'll add it to my test.zoo file and see what V8.5 does to it.

Also, I quite making money about 1PM and set up an ACI test file along with a zoo test file. The initial load of the ACI test file took two seconds. The zoo test file took 34 seconds to load the first time. After the first load it only took two seconds. However, I'm running WindowsME, not 2000 on my 'puter. The zoo file was 39% larger than the ACI file. I added three photos to both files, at which point the zoo file was 19% larger.

I have had NO stabillity problems with V8.5. I don't think it has crashed in over two months. The addendum crashes are all gone. :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks