• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Acrobat Pdf Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel ernest

Freshman Member
What does error message "Could not locate the "Acrobat PDF Writer" printer driver mean? Further how do I correct the problem?

The ACI 8.5 version!

Pat Butler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
What program is trying to initiate the PDF Writer? (please, not Alamode...)

xm39hnu

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Originally posted by daniel ernest@Sep 4 2003, 10:25 PM
What does error message "Could not locate the "Acrobat PDF Writer" printer driver mean? Further how do I correct the problem?

The ACI 8.5 version!
Disclaimer: I'm not a PC user, nor an ACI user. My preferred platform is Macintosh, for which NO company at present writes appraisal software.

The problem might be that you have selected Acrobat PDF Writer as your preferred printer driver (a default choice, perhaps). PDF Writer is no longer used by Acrobat to produce PDF's. It did a lousy job regardless of the platform it was used on. Adobe now recommends using Distiller only, and in the PC world there's another one called PDFMaker (which acts as a front-end for Distiller).

Check your preferences settings to see whether you can change the default printer driver.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Since Adobe Acrobat is being discussed, I have a question. After I have created a pdf file in Adobe Acrobat, I print out my report while in Adobe Acrobat so I have a copy of the report I sent the client. It takes forever for the printer to start printing, whether I am printing on the HP2200 or the HP LaserJet 4 Plus. When I print from any other program, both printers respond immediately. Is there some setting in Adobe Acrobat 5 writer that I need to make?

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
When I print from any other program, both printers respond immediately.
Jo Ann, do you print while your appraisal software is still open. If so, it sounds like a memory problem. Appraisal software can be a real memory hog..... and so can Adobe. When running both, it takes a bit longer to print as the available memory and resources are limited.

The same thing happens to me. So I save the PDF on my computer, close all my appraisal software, then print my file copy.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
No, the only program I have open is the pdf file. I am using Windows 98SE and the only program running at all times is the Norton Anti Virus which doesn't scan my outgoing emails. I have gone to start, run and then typed in msconfig--unchecking everything except the Norton Anti Virus to scan incoming mail. I only run one program at a time. Yes I save my pdf files that are created in Adobe Acrobat in a specific folder of their own, which then is opened in Adobe Acrobat 5 reader and print out that pdf file. I have downloaded pdf files to that folder also and then print out on one of the HPs and it takes forever before the message gets to the HP, once the message gets to the printer then it prints the entire print order as quickly as it does from any other source. It is getting the message from Adobe to HP that seems to be the holdup.

Pat Butler

Professional Status
State
Illinois
Joanne- "Resolving Problems Printing a Specific PDF File from an Acrobat Product

If you have problems printing an individual PDF file, do one or more of the following, printing after each task:

1. Print the PDF file as an image.
Printing the PDF file as an image may enable the file to print, but it doesn't identify the source of the problem; proceed through the guide to identify the source.

To print a PDF file as an image:

Acrobat 6.x:
1. Choose File > Print, and then click Advanced.
2. Select Print As Image and any other desired printing options.
3. Click OK to close the Advanced Print Setup dialog box, and then click Print."

Also, check your spooling settings for your printer. Go into your print driver from the Control Panel and look under the Advanced tab. There should be three different spooling settings to choose from (Spool documents, start after last page, & print directly to printer). Try each of those to see if it helps. If everything else is working then the "Start printing immediately" choice should work the best.

Dave Smith

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
Daniel:
I encountered the same situation with Version 8.5.
Here is the solution I got from ACI. You need to reinstall Adobe. When you get to the Adobe setup screen during the install process you need to choose the "custom" install check box.
That will install Adobe into the V8.5 printer setup screen so that you can print by clicking on the V8.5 print icon or by going to the File Tab and then to the Print Adobe menu item.

xm39hnu

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Originally posted by Jo Ann Meyer Stratton@Sep 5 2003, 08:30 AM
Since Adobe Acrobat is being discussed, I have a question. After I have created a pdf file in Adobe Acrobat, I print out my report while in Adobe Acrobat so I have a copy of the report I sent the client. It takes forever for the printer to start printing, whether I am printing on the HP2200 or the HP LaserJet 4 Plus. When I print from any other program, both printers respond immediately. Is there some setting in Adobe Acrobat 5 writer that I need to make?
Being a long-time Acrobat user, as well as a user of other Adobe products, let me offer this for consideration: Adobe has the power to obstruct and defeat any amount of processor speed or installed RAM. Their programs are never fast. They seem to design their software for the generation of computers which will follow the highest-end computer on the present market.

Your PDF is a very very complex PostScript file. Look at one in a text editor and see for yourself. Some of what you're looking at is what is called "distilled postscript," which means that some commands are function calls, and the functions are yet another series of commands. Here's a simple example:
/inch 72 mul def --function definition
then, later in the document, you'll find:
3 inch 4 inch moveto -- two calls to the "inch" function
which expands to :
3 72 mul 4 72 mul moveto
The point is that the postscript interpreter in your printer has to resolve all this before it can send the image of your document to the print engine. The result is a precisely rendered document, and a lot of processing time. When you print from other programs, you're not using the entire postscript functionality. Therefore it runs faster.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I never print the appraisal report outside of my appraisal software. Alamode handles it just fine and quickly too using both printers. I was told to reinstall and make sure to select the "Distiller" as the printer.

I created a file yesterday that was 30 pages and had more than 40 pictures in it. The distiller dropped the file size to 99KB and I was able to send it over cable modem in less than one minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks