• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Addition / expansion guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

vargasteve

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I have a buddy wants me to review his addition plans adding 600 sq/ft to the existing 1,396 sq/ft. Are there any resources for explaining the basic of floorplan expansion & additions that your aware of... :?:

My personal guess is some 30 - 40% +- of additions have disfunctional floorplan flow or other functional problems.

KD247

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Whether you’re speaking in terms of livability or economics, I’d be skeptical of any general rules pertaining to the value of additions. There are just too many variables.

An addition can make or break a floorplan, but even if you could show that 40% of all additions are dysfunctional, that doesn’t mean that your buddy has a 40% chance of ending up with a crummy floorplan. Conversely, a high “success” rate for additions in your area doesn’t mean that your buddy is immune from making an expensive mistake.

I tell friends to take a close look at their total costs: the value of the existing property plus the remodeling cost. If superior properties are available for less than the total cost, remodeling might not be a good idea.

In the area where I live, there is such strong demand for larger homes that even unattractive additions seem to be economically feasible. In some nearby areas with uniform tract homes, it seems that it is almost always more expensive to remodel than it would be to move to a larger home.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
I have seen additions that look like there never was an addition. Floor plan, finish, etc. all work. I have seen other additions that are just that - a room stuck on the back. I have seen additional bedrooms added where you had to go through one to get to the next.

If you are going to review the addition, take off your appraiser's hat and put on your homebuyers hat. Think about the home and how it would look and flow with the addition. It doesn't matter what the technical stuff is, it's how the market will react to the addition.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks