• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Addressing Client Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegan702

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Nevada
How do you address these stips/requests in your reports?
How would you handle a client that asks you a bunch of questions but they don't want to be referenced in the report as the one who asked these questions of me?

I have been adding the questions they ask at the end of the addendum and then addressing them 1 by 1 assuming they are not asking me to correct something but to incorporate new material into the report, etc. I find this to be the best way to handle these issues as it doesn't confuse anyone as to why I am talking about these issues, especially if I felt they didn't need talking about originally.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
How would you handle a client that asks you a bunch of questions but they don't want to be referenced in the report as the one who asked these questions of me?

I have been adding the questions they ask at the end of the addendum and then addressing them 1 by 1 assuming they are not asking me to correct something but to incorporate new material into the report, etc. I find this to be the best way to handle these issues as it doesn't confuse anyone as to why I am talking about these issues, especially if I felt they didn't need talking about originally.
I do it the way you are, adding to the addendum and new report date for the change, why the change, etc.

I require all additions / changes to be in writing for my file. In some cases, I attached the request directly to the report.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I think the way you are doing it is appropriate.
It provides a chain-of-events record in the appraisal.

VolcanoLvr

Professional Status
State
Washington
Ditto RK.

Any addition to a submitted report needs to have as its basis a written request from the party who wants it.

I have not in the past 'named' the requester, but have re-stated their info request in a dated addendum page with my reply. And I normally don't include the actual written request, but I can appreciate why RK may want to include the actual request if appropriate to understanding its context and the submitted report.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
How would you handle a client that asks you a bunch of questions but they don't want to be referenced in the report as the one who asked these questions of me?...

I'm really curious as to what questions, asked of you by your client post-appraisal, does your client then not want you to identify as emanating from the client?

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
"At the specific request of the client, the following supplemental information is added to the basic report and made a part of that report:

(Answered questions go here)

Signature
Date of Addition

If I add something to a report or answer specific questions, the reason for my doing so is indicated in the report. Since the report is to the client, I will only make these additions/clarification at the client's request. Though I've never had a client request that I never put the reason for the additional information (the client's specific request), I would not add such information to the report without a reason.

Remember that the report is "YOUR" to the client. It is you who decide what does and does not go in. I hate it when the client tries to tell me how to write my report. They can require certain information but they cannot tell me how to put it in the report.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Addendum Page,

'Regarding concerns about the life of the subject's roof......'

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
What are the questions from the UW

It is the appraiser’s role to provide an accurate, and adequately supported, opinion of value and an accurate description of the subject property. Was the appraisal report of professional quality and prepared consistent with appraisal standards?

What are the questions that the UW asked that you have a problem with? Could you have anticipated the UW questions?

Couch Potato

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Hiding something?

Who is the client? The only time such a request would make any sense would be an AMC trying to hide the fact they coached/coerced an appraiser. I would not assist them in their deceit, even if the intention was to make the quality of the appraiser's work appear higher than reality.

Vegan702

Professional Status
State
Nevada
I'm really curious as to what questions, asked of you by your client post-appraisal, does your client then not want you to identify as emanating from the client?

They wanted me to add a listing as I marked it as declining. The listing was to support the value. They also wanted me to expand on my declining markets comments. I generalized the rate of decline as 17% over the last 2 years, they wanted a specific rate of decline as in monthly, they also wanted a couple other things related to my declining comments. Nothing major, just stuff I thought didn't need to be in there originally but doesn't alter the report by being in there. I just think that if someone requests something that I did not include in the report originally then I should reference that person or company, what questions they asked of me and my answers. I choose to add them at the end of the addendum in question and answer format. They wanted me to incorporate the questions they asked of me into my addendum without referencing them at all. I don't feel right about that and told them the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks