• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

Learn more about Titan Reports, our new cloud-based formfiller, SmartExchange, Titan Office, and Titan Drive to see how you can revolutionize your appraisal business.

Adobe Acrobat Writer Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
If you plan on buying the Adobe Acrobat Writer in the future, you might consider the FinePrint pdfFactory Pro/fineprint combo. They have more functionality and the price is under $100.

I've run pdf write tests with appraisal sw and also printing multi page output with fineprint. I especially like the multi page per sheet of paper
output format. They work fine so far.

More info at www.fineprint.com.

KD247

Professional Status
State
California
There are also two or three free pdf writers that apparently work well.

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
pdfMachine from http://www.broadgun.com is a good pdf program for $50.00 download and pay on line, when I first got it I had trouble printing from it to my printer. E-mailed them, and when I got up in the morning they told me what I was doing wrong. Turned out the printer needed to be set to postscript level one. No problems since.

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
This sounds good. What do the people that you send the PDF file to use to read the file?

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Cliff,

They use the free Adobe Reader program. It's a great plot. They give the Reader away for free at www.adobe.com. You have to buy the Writer so they can read it for free.

There is a way to get free PDF Writer, although I don't know how it can be done. Ages ago there was an email program called Posta which I downloaded for free off CNET. It's no longer there but if you installed the demo for Posta and even if you never used it, Posta installed PDF Writer for free. A big blunder by Tumbleweed software and Adobe. I still have the Posta setup file. It's around 3 megs. I don't know how to make it available to anyone or if it is still legal to do so.

Ben

Robert Dunkle

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
Greg,

Does that mean that our clients may have to change their printers to print out our e-mails, or is that the case with any pdf software?

Bob Dunkle

xmrdfghap

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Hey Robert, its been a while :lol: ......the only time I have had any problems with it is when I print at kinkos. But if you do that much, you can always use kinkos own print driver that converts to pdf after you have it printed.

But when I use it at home/office etc, I have never had any problems. My home printer is an Epson, and I will use HP's and NEC's when I am in town. None of them have a problem.....but I know that some people use highspeed HP's or Mita's for their printing and if they do, they may hvae more than one postscript level.

jim farrelly

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
fineprint pdf factory has a free trial download. it's free and easy to use. i think i downloaded it about a year ago and have never had a problem

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
State
Texas
I've been testing the fineprint pdfFactory Pro pdf writer for the last month. In general, it works well and produces files that are as small
or smaller than the Adobe Acrobat Writer.

I have identified one problem with fineprint pdfFactory Pro.
When printing an FPS88 Statement of Limitations form, the "Definition of Market Value" section at the top of the form was a little fuzzy. The rest
of the report was fine. I tried to resolve this with the FPS88 and fineprint staff, but was unable to do so. The final explanation from FPS88 was:

"The Homeputer® software handles all of the forms the same and does print them correctly. It is the pdfFactory driver that is not interpreting the printout like a standard printer driver or the Acrobat PDF Writer. I printed your PDF file to a laser printer. A background shading was added to all of the forms, i.e. URAR, Certification, etc. The Homeputer® forms do not have a background shading. The Homeputer® forms print perfectly to a standard printer or to the Adobe Acrobat PDF Writer. It is up to the pdfFactory developers to take another look at the way the pdfFactory software handles the monochrome bitmaps and compression. I believe the pdfFactory software is converting 1 bit monochrome images to another image type which is causing the shading. "

The bottom line is I could not clear up the fuzzy lines and was unable to obtain a patch or commitment to fix the problem. fineprint did offer to provide a refund if I want. I haven't made a decision yet.

I'm finishing my appraisal sw package evaluations, will probably post a summary report in the near future.

Alan Gertner

Professional Status
State
Texas
I finally tracked down the pdf fuzzy char problem.

It was a printer driver problem. I downloaded the most recent
printer driver from the HP web site and the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks