• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Adobe Distiller Vs Xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

spettifer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
I bought two new computers with XP Professional and using Adobe Acrobat 5.0 Cannot get it to work for the life of me. Downloading some patches from Adobe and a few other things, wasted a 1/2 day. Ok, I know somebody has the golden answer to this conflict? Any words of wisdom would save my sanity for tomorrow.

Scott

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Had the same problem. I had to use Adobe 5.0 Writer, not Distiller. Works like a dream. Just some sort of conflict.

Roger

John Hassler

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Have two machines in the office running xp-pro and adobe 5.0. We have had no problems using distiller as a printer choice with Bradford software.

David Mullen

I ran Acrobat 5.05 for over a year with no problems under Toolbox and XP.

Recently, I changed to Acrobat 6.0 because it was available with a good rebate and it is an excellent program under XP.

xm39hnu

Professional Status
General Public
State
Florida
Scott,
If you spent 1/2 day downloading patches, you should have Acrobat 5.05 installed. But make sure you know the version level of the program. Then, log onto PDFZone, and sign up for the PDF Basics mailing list. When you post a problem there, remember to add a system info line to your post; tell them the OS, memory, HD space, and Acrobat version. You won't get answers from Adobe (even if you call them); the people who haunt the PDFZone forums range from beginners to experts, and I've never failed to get a question answered--sometimes within minutes.

Generally, you have to select a PostScript printer (I think AdobePS comes with the package, but you can select <any> PS printer whether you have one connected or not.) The print dialog should allow you to elect to send your document to a file or to the printer. Pick "file." Your report will be printed to a PostScript file (which has a .ps extension). Then invoke Distiller on that PostScript file to produce a PDF.

Once you have produced the PDF from your forms processing software, you can then open it in Acrobat and digitally sign the report. NB: file sizes run from 1.8MB to over 5 MB for a 1004, depending on what you include in the report. (I produced one residential report which ran over 20MB! Turned out that I had scanned my certificate at 300dpi and saved it as a TIFF. I re-scanned it at 150dpi and saved as a JPEG, and got a 5 MB report file.)

Example scenario: You produce a 1004 containing subject & comp photos (1 page each); location and flood maps (1 page each) 1004, comment addendum, Environmental, Multipurpose, Certification & Limiting Conditions, Title page, cover letter, and invoice. You select print, direct output to a file, and produce a .PS file. You invoke Distiller, and produce a .pdf.

Now you've got to sign that sucker in order to eMail it, unless your forms software produces a usable digital signature that Acrobat can recognize. There's a place for the signature on the cover letter, the certification, the 1004, the Environmental and the Multipurpose. Open the File menu and select Document Security; unless you've made arrangements with your client, select the 40-bit security as opposed to the 128-bit. Many lenders are still using Reader 4.0, which won't open 128-bit encrypted files. Tick the options that you want, i.e., enable printing, disable changing & annotations.

Go to the 1004B certification page and create a signature field using the Form tool. Right-click on the field, and from the context menu select "Duplicate..."; duplicate the field on the cover letter page, 1004, Environmental, and Multipurpose (you'll have to reference the page numbers to do this.) Go to each of those pages and move the signature field to the proper place on the form. (NB: This can be automated in Acrobat; the process is too involved to go into here.) Choose "File->Save As.." and replace the original .pdf with this one, which has signature fields. Now select the Hand tool, log in, and sign the form in any signature field. That signature propagates to the other four places.

PITA, ain't it?

Keep in mind that there's a difference between true "digitally signed" documents and those which merely bear a picture of your signature. Those bearing a picture of your signature can easily be changed undetectably by anyone with only a modest knowledge of the technology. Documents which are digitally signed are a lot tougher, and beyond the capability of most people to change without leaving a trail. <Any> security, including the Department of Defense's, can be broken; it's a question of how much time and computing power you want to devote to it.

spettifer

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thanks for all your suggestions. Sometimes your so stressed out you can't see the solution right in front of you. I switched to PDF writer and it works fine. I will work on the distiller problems or just get 6.0 down the road. The Appraisers Forum comes through again. Have a great weekend everybody.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks