• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Adult Entertainment Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frederick

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Single family residence backs up to a "Adult" entertainment center, books, magazines, video and private viewing booths. I heard years ago and they had a strip show in a mini theater in the back with audience participation. I don't know what goes on there now but it is an obvious concern to a parent contemplating the purchase of a home where the backyard has a view of the parking lot and vice versa.

FHA appraisal for a sale.

What say you?

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
Health and safety concern. Where are your comps with similar commercial enterprises abutting the subject property?

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Single family residence backs up to a "Adult" entertainment center, books, magazines, video and private viewing booths. I heard years ago and they had a strip show in a mini theater in the back with audience participation. I don't know what goes on there now but it is an obvious concern to a parent contemplating the purchase of a home where the backyard has a view of the parking lot and vice versa.

FHA appraisal for a sale.

What say you?

I think you need to inspect your neighborhood a bit better, particularly if it is a "public" establishment. :laugh:

Frederick

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Health and safety concern. Where are your comps with similar commercial enterprises abutting the subject property?

That was my initial thought (abuts commercial) but I think this is a special case scenario. I have to imagine a parent would be creeped out by the thought of what is occuring in the parking lot that overlooks their yard. In that case it would eliminate a large portion of the market.

This particular use would appear to be particularly adverse to marketability of adjacent residential properties. No similar comps in 10 years nearby. Looked in nearby communities and saw nothing similar. I'm sure I could find some comps but I don't I might need to go that route.

PropertyEconomics

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
That was my initial thought (abuts commercial) but I think this is a special case scenario. I have to imagine a parent would be creeped out by the thought of what is occuring in the parking lot that overlooks their yard. In that case it would eliminate a large portion of the market.

This particular use would appear to be particularly adverse to marketability of adjacent residential properties. No similar comps in 10 years nearby. Looked in nearby communities and saw nothing similar. I'm sure I could find some comps but I don't I might need to go that route.

I think you would have a very difficult time showing there is a health or safety concern. This is one I would explain and let HUD make the decision or the underwriter. While the market may be limited, it is not zero, and that presents a bit of a problem for an appraiser.
I may would compare it with other commercially proximate residential properties and explain the use of this property.
Its just a word of caution so as to not appear to be in violation of fair housing ....

Frederick

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
I think you would have a very difficult time showing there is a health or safety concern. This is one I would explain and let HUD make the decision or the underwriter. While the market may be limited, it is not zero, and that presents a bit of a problem for an appraiser.
I may would compare it with other commercially proximate residential properties and explain the use of this property.
Its just a word of caution so as to not appear to be in violation of fair housing ....

If you had children is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

If you were a single woman is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

If you were very religious is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

If you were an elderly couple is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

Could you invite the family over for a backyard BBQ with just a 4' chainlink fence between your yard and the parking lot of this establishment where people engage in illicit acts?

I think this removes a large portion of the market for this home.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
You might take a gander at one of the sex offender websites and see the distribution of offenders in any neighborhood before you give too much weight to the use of this particular site. IMHO, not much different than a convenience store that sells blunt wrappers, crack pipe materials and accessories, 40 oz beers, malt liquors, and fortified wine. Drug dealers, crack heads, winos, and ho's....their clientele is hardly superior to the sex freaks next door to your subject.

AL LLANOS

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
If you had children is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

If you were a single woman is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

If you were very religious is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

If you were an elderly couple is there any price that would entice you to purchase this home?

Could you invite the family over for a backyard BBQ with just a 4' chainlink fence between your yard and the parking lot of this establishment where people engage in illicit acts?

These are valid questions that should be posed to the buyer.

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina

See if you can check the police department records for complaints and arrests at or near this "adult" establishment. I suspect you will find a few. If so, it would be a safety concern. Just thinking, why don't they (city planning and zoning) allow "adult" commercial businesses like bars, liquor stores, ****o shops, pawn shops, etc., near a school or church?

Metamorphic

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
When was the last time the subject sold? Can you use it as its own comp with a big date of sale adjustment? What about properties near train tracks or industrial sites?

If you take the salacious aspect out of it, its just another incompatible use that some people will object more strongly to than others. With these things it seems that for every buyer that says "no way" there's one that says "dont care" and another that says "sign me up". I got a buddy that's a pilot and would pay extra for a place that's under the traffic pattern. When I was in my 20's a couple friends and I would have taken your subject as a rental in a heart beat, but you couldent pay me to live next to a train tracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks