• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advanced Highest & Best Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Rohm

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
I'm preparing to challenge the advanced HBU course which I've heard is the most difficult designation course. I'm probably going to spend some time going over the general course which I struggled with. I also plan to read parts of the new book by Stephen Fanning - Market Analysis and HBU. I'll obviously also go over the course textbook when I receive that.

Since there are so many resources for this course I'm wondering if anyone can shed light on what resource to spend the most time with. My main concern is that multiple professors explained that the test covers topics outside the scope of the course (which seems unreasonable). I don't want to kill myself studying for EVERYTHING so I'd figure I'd start here.

Thanks in advance.

Michael S

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Mexico
I took the class 1-2 years ago. I don't recall the test being any harder than any other for advanced classes. If you can go through all the practice problems in the book and answer those correctly you should be fine. It was a pretty good class but I understand the desire to challenge it.

The General

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
I challenged all of the advanced class exams this summer and agree that it's probably the most difficult of the bunch, but not significantly so. The biggest challenge for me in this class was that the answer booklets didn't do an adequate job of explaining how they got to some of the answers. Luckily, a guy in my office took the class a few years ago, so I borrowed his book and was able to see how he worked the problems. I'd be happy to scan some of the pages and send them your way if you're having trouble.

I did not review the General HBU booklet for this class as it is somewhat reiterated within this class. Also, I did not read the Fanning book. I think the textbook was more than adequate to prepare for the exam.

Mike Rohm

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
For anyone reading this chain - Stephen Fanning, author of Market Analysis and Highest & Best Use, relayed to me that the most useful chapters in his book to prepare for the course are: Chapter 5 Urban Form - the type of urban growth models, Chapter 6 - Economic Base - especially location quotient, Chapters 13-16 - Market Analysis of Property Types, Chapter 18 - HBU of Vacant Land.

Mike Rohm

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
I challenged all of the advanced class exams this summer and agree that it's probably the most difficult of the bunch, but not significantly so. The biggest challenge for me in this class was that the answer booklets didn't do an adequate job of explaining how they got to some of the answers. Luckily, a guy in my office took the class a few years ago, so I borrowed his book and was able to see how he worked the problems. I'd be happy to scan some of the pages and send them your way if you're having trouble.

I did not review the General HBU booklet for this class as it is somewhat reiterated within this class. Also, I did not read the Fanning book. I think the textbook was more than adequate to prepare for the exam.
I'd love if you could send the answers to the problems you had trouble with to me - [email protected]. I'd be happy to share resources I have with you if you're looking for PDFs of books, etc.

Mike Rohm

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Pennsylvania
I took the class 1-2 years ago. I don't recall the test being any harder than any other for advanced classes. If you can go through all the practice problems in the book and answer those correctly you should be fine. It was a pretty good class but I understand the desire to challenge it.
It's a cost savings decision. I'm of the assumption that Advanced Concepts would be a better course than HBU to take in person which I'm planning on doing. Would you strongly advise taking Advanced Concepts in person or is the benefit of the in-person forum similar to the other courses?

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
It's a cost savings decision. I'm of the assumption that Advanced Concepts would be a better course than HBU to take in person which I'm planning on doing. Would you strongly advise taking Advanced Concepts in person or is the benefit of the in-person forum similar to the other courses?

I actually challenged Advanced Concepts and Case Studies. I've had to fly out of state for every single class after my initial trainee courses. Even though I usually get reimbursed for the cost of the class it's probably $2,000 between airfare, rental car, and lost income during that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks