• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advice For Work On Home To Put On Market In Il

Status
Not open for further replies.

outdrift

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
The is for my parents 100 years old home on the edge of Chicago in a good neighborhood. I'm a painter so I've been doing a lot of work sprucing it up and making it look good. There are big faults that I can't just paint. Not sure how much work should be done to finish before putting it on the market.

The basement has a room that is a dirt crawl space. Seems like they made an addition to the room above it and left the dirt. So there is a 270 sq ft dirt crawl space and it becomes a dirt wall. And the wall goes right onto some old wood framing and wood columns, which is not up to code to have dirt on top of.

So those framing and columns would have to be removed and replaced with steel. Other columns in the basement are needing to be replaced too. We did a home radon test from Lowes that said 14, but I'm not sure how accurate that test is.

So we may have to use plastic sheeting they use to encapsulate crawl spaces to entrap the possible radon.

Some work outside with wood touching the ground(not code) needing to be replaced with pressure treated.

So various semi big projects to tackle to bring up to code and remove the eye sores, but how much is worth the investment? Should we wait on dealing with possible radon until a real estate agent does a professional test? Trulia says average listing around the area is $247k.

Thank you, any advice would be helpful.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
So those framing and columns would have to be removed and replaced with steel. Other columns in the basement are needing to be replaced too.

This sounds expensive, but if you sell as is the buyer will want a discount to bring it up to snuff.
Probably a larger discount than the work would cost. If it is bad, a contractor or investor might be your most likely potential buyer.
You know they are looking for a deal or a steal.
I'd suggest getting 3 or more estimates/ bids for what needs to be done, and cost to do the work for starters.
Then you can make a better informed decision.

outdrift

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
I was thinking of trying to do as much as I can myself. I've been reading up on codes for columns and beams. I am thinking of hiring a building inspector to come take a look and give advice on what I should for sure do before putting it up on the market. Wold that be wise? And maybe some estimates from contractors to get their bids/ opinions like you suggested. Thank you

techbiker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
I was thinking of trying to do as much as I can myself. I've been reading up on codes for columns and beams. I am thinking of hiring a building inspector to come take a look and give advice on what I should for sure do before putting it up on the market. Wold that be wise? And maybe some estimates from contractors to get their bids/ opinions like you suggested. Thank you

How tall are the columns? We actually have about 9 building jacks laying around from a previous restoration project. They range from 8-10.5 feet tall.

My advice- find a freelance structural engineer and see if he will visit your house. You might be able to get a visit for less than $200. A contractor has cards in the game, however a structural engineer should give you good unbiased advice. You might need much less work than you expect. Or the job might be much easier than anticipated. Some basement jacking projects actually fall in the "DIY" realm if you have the proper tools. Just my 2 cents.

outdrift

Freshman Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Illinois
How tall are the columns? We actually have about 9 building jacks laying around from a previous restoration project. They range from 8-10.5 feet tall.

My advice- find a freelance structural engineer and see if he will visit your house. You might be able to get a visit for less than $200. A contractor has cards in the game, however a structural engineer should give you good unbiased advice. You might need much less work than you expect. Or the job might be much easier than anticipated. Some basement jacking projects actually fall in the "DIY" realm if you have the proper tools. Just my 2 cents.

Yes, we're definitely thinking of a structural engineer to come give advice. And possibly either an inspector or local real estate agent come take a look. Been looking into lally columns, or maybe just using 4 x 4 for columns. And learning about proper footings. need to learn to see if they need rebar in the concrete. Thank for the tips!

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Definitely get advice and make sure to do it right.

Ken Masla

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
The is for my parents 100 years old home on the edge of Chicago in a good neighborhood. I'm a painter so I've been doing a lot of work sprucing it up and making it look good. There are big faults that I can't just paint. Not sure how much work should be done to finish before putting it on the market.

The basement has a room that is a dirt crawl space. Seems like they made an addition to the room above it and left the dirt. So there is a 270 sq ft dirt crawl space and it becomes a dirt wall. And the wall goes right onto some old wood framing and wood columns, which is not up to code to have dirt on top of.

So those framing and columns would have to be removed and replaced with steel. Other columns in the basement are needing to be replaced too. We did a home radon test from Lowes that said 14, but I'm not sure how accurate that test is.

So we may have to use plastic sheeting they use to encapsulate crawl spaces to entrap the possible radon.

Some work outside with wood touching the ground(not code) needing to be replaced with pressure treated.

So various semi big projects to tackle to bring up to code and remove the eye sores, but how much is worth the investment? Should we wait on dealing with possible radon until a real estate agent does a professional test? Trulia says average listing around the area is $247k.

Thank you, any advice would be helpful.

It is a relatively simple math problem.

You figure out how much it would cost for repairs and compare it with potential highest price for the home with the repairs completed.

Do not spend too much. It is common for people in the house selling business to spend too much. There is a point of diminishing returns. Do not over-improve your home beyond what is typical for a newly renovated home in the area.

If the juice isn't worth the squeeze, then you should consider selling it as is. It is possible that the home will sell for land value.

Reactions: DTB

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
It is a relatively simple math problem.

You figure out how much it would cost for repairs and compare it with potential highest price for the home with the repairs completed.

Do not spend too much. It is common for people in the house selling business to spend too much. There is a point of diminishing returns. Do not over-improve your home beyond what is typical for a newly renovated home in the area.

If the juice isn't worth the squeeze, then you should consider selling it as is. It is possible that the home will sell for land value.

It is more possible Ken does not know wth he is talking about.

Ken Masla

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
@outdrift just decide on your own what information makes sense.

There are many petty people on these forums. Try to stay away from pettiness = secret to success.

Good luck with your project.

:beer:

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
Stay especially far away from posters who sell time shares in Pakistan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks