• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Advice On A Appraising Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Tzu

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Wisconsin
I have a mixed use commercial building that is empty, gutted and has no heating or electric. I have to do a "as is" value. I'm doing income and sales comp on it. Do I adjust the cap and sf or do values and reduce for cost of improvements? Or do I even do a income?

Last edited:

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Yes to both.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
An appraisal problem
An as-is value
:)

What is the highest and best use as improved? Perhaps a discounted cash flow analysis is more appropriate in that there may be a lease-up period. There isn't really enough information in the original post to get a good feel for the best route, but the highest and best use/ market analysis should yield some insight on the appropriate route to take.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
An appraisal problem
An as-is value
:)

What is the highest and best use as improved?
(my bold)

The key question that will not only tell you:
A) What should be done with the property in its as-is condition, but also
B) Who is going to do it; and
C) When can it reasonable expected to be done?

Once you get the answer to these questions, you'll have a path to take on how to value the property. I think your question (and, nothing wrong with it) is jumping to the "how should I" before you address the "what do I have, who is going to buy it, what are they going to do with it, and when will they do it?".

But here is one way the market works:
If I am an investor that thinks the property should be used as a mixed-use property, then I'm going to try to figure out:
1. How much will it be worth once I get it to where I think it should be?
2. How much is it going to cost me to get it into the condition that I think it should be?
3. How long is it going to take me to get it in that condition and then lease it up?
4. Based on all that uncertainty, how much profit do I need (entrepreneurial incentive) to make it worth my while to buy the property as-is and complete the build-out and lease it up so that it is stabilized?

If you can answer those four questions, you'll have the inputs to solve the value problem.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks